[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
LANGUAGES
Chinese
Vietnamese
Indonesian
Burmese
Thai
More
Last Updated: Thursday, 18 September, 2003, 08:29 GMT 09:29 UK
'Contrite' Bali bomber gets jail
Police struggle to remove handcuffs from Ali Imron
Ali Imron has repeatedly said he is sorry for his actions
A third key suspect in last year's Bali bombings has been found guilty by an Indonesian court.

Ali Imron, a 33-year-old Islamic teacher, was convicted of planning an act of terrorism which killed more than 200 people.

He was sentenced to life in prison. He could have faced the death penalty, but the court said it had taken into account Ali Imron's expression of regret.

INDONESIA'S TERROR TRIALS
Amrozi
Sentenced to death on 7 August
Convicted of providing the van and bombs used in the attacks
Imam Samudra
Sentenced to death on 10 September
Convicted of planning the attack
Mukhlas (Ali Gufron)
Trial began on 16 June
Accused of being the 'mastermind' behind the attacks
Also said to be operations chief of regional militant group Jemaah Islamiah (JI)
Ali Imron
Sentenced to life imprisonment on 18 September
Has admitted to assembling the main bomb
Abu Bakar Ba'asyir
Sentenced on 2 September to four years in jail for subversion
Acquitted of being JI's spiritual leader
The BBC's Rachel Harvey said Ali Imron, clean shaven and wearing a dark suit, sat almost motionless as the verdict was delivered.

Two other men, including Ali Imron's brother Amrozi, have already been convicted and sentenced to death for their part in the Bali conspiracy.

Ali Imron had admitted to helping assemble one of the bombs which exploded in Bali on 12 October and driving a bomb-laden minivan to the site of the attack.

"Ali Imron has been found guilty in a legal and convincing manner of terrorism," said Judge Mulyani, who read out the verdict.

The defendant had committed "an extraordinary crime and a crime against humanity", the judge said.

What has set him apart from the other key suspects has been his expressions of remorse.

Judge Mulyani said Ali Imron "had felt guilt and has honestly expressed regrets".

He was polite throughout the trial and had realized that the blast "was a mistake according to Islam", the judge said.

Unlike the others, he has made no angry gestures or criticisms of the US, and has urged people not to follow in his footsteps.

For this reason, the prosecution had only asked for a sentence of 20 years in prison, rather than the maximum penalty of death.

More than 30 people have been arrested in connection with the Bali attacks, although most of those are suspected of playing minor, supporting roles.

About half a dozen, including the three now sentenced, are believed to have been major players.

The next verdict due, on 2 October, is for Mukhlas, another brother of Ali Imron.

He is accused of masterminding the operation.

The Bali attack has been widely blamed on the Jemaah Islamiah militant group, which wants to create a pan-South East Asian Muslim state.

Its alleged operations chief, Hambali, was arrested in central Thailand last month. He is being interrogated by the US at a secret location.




WATCH AND LISTEN
The BBC's Rachel Harvey reports from Bali
"Ali Imron has urged others not to follow in his footsteps"



RELATED BBCi LINKS:

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific