The World Health Organization has announced that the Sars epidemic is being contained, but says the fight against the virus is far from over.
The WHO has now lifted its travel warning against Taiwan
The statement came as more than 1,000 scientists, doctors and government officials gathered in Malaysia for a global conference on the disease.
Sars (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) has killed 800 people and infected around 8,500 since it first emerged late last year, but cases have been falling worldwide in recent weeks.
On Tuesday, the WHO lifted its travel warning for Taiwan, which has the world's third-highest number of infections and fatalities.
Only Beijing is now affected by the travel advisory.
Known death tolls:
Mainland China: 348
Hong Kong: 298
Source: WHO/local authorities
The WHO meeting in Kuala Lumpur opened with each delegate and journalist having their temperature measured as part of Malaysia's very visible Sars containment programme.
"We must remember that in this region, we are more likely
to be invaded by new microbes rather than by a foreign
army," Malaysian Health Minister Chua Jui Meng said in a speech opening the conference.
The WHO's director for the Western Pacific region, Dr Shigeru Omi, said "the global situation is getting better" but stressed that "Sars has not been defeated. We must be better prepared next time."
He particularly praised the work of the government in China - the country worst hit by the disease - for its effort in fighting Sars.
China was initially criticised for covering up the true extent of its Sars crisis.
Dr Omi said WHO officials were collaborating with Beijing to investigate whether the disease had originated from animals.
Geneva-based WHO technical officer Mark Salter said ahead of the conference that in order to be able to say "the box is closed tight (on Sars)... we still need a lot more information about the virus, the disease and how the disease spreads among the population".