Saturday, October 24, 1998 Published at 13:10 GMT 14:10 UK
China next for Typhoon Babs
Flooding in Quezon city, northeast of Manila
After killing more than 100 hundred people and wreaking havoc in the Philipinnes, Typhoon Babs is now heading for southern China and Hong Kong.
But in other parts of the Philippines Typhoon Babs has left a trail of death and destruction.
Most of the casualties occurred in the east - 67 people died on the island of Catanduanes alone, where a landslide buried the village of Kilikilihan on Thursday. Philippines President Joseph Estrada declared Catanduanes - together with three other other provinces and a city - under a state of calamity.
Damage to crops and infrastructure has been put at 1.34 billion pesos ($32m), but officials said this was a very early estimate.
The authorities have advised vessels to avoid venturing out onto the high seas. People living in low-lying areas have been told to move to higher ground.
Last week Typhoon Zeb hit the northern Philippines, killing around 100 people before moving on to Taiwan and Japan.
The country is struck by about 24 tropical cyclones every year, but this year is expected to be even stormier than usual because of the weather phenomenon known as La Nina.