Languages
Page last updated at 22:46 GMT, Monday, 22 February 2010

Afghan man pleads guilty to New York subway bomb plot

Najibullah Zazi, pictured on 17 September 2009
Najibullah Zazi faces life in prison without parole

An Afghan-born Colorado airport bus driver has pleaded guilty to plotting to blow up New York's subway system.

Najibullah Zazi told a federal court in the city that he had been planning what he called a "martyrdom operation".

Zazi pleaded guilty to conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction, conspiracy to commit murder and providing material support to al-Qaeda.

US Attorney General Eric Holder said the plot was one of the most serious threats to the US since 9/11.

Twenty-five-year-old Zazi changed his plea from one of not guilty. He faces a sentence of life in prison without parole.

Zazi said he had agreed to carry out the attack as a protest against American military operations in his homeland, Afghanistan.

The US intelligence community has been under pressure ever since it failed to prevent an attack on an airliner bound for Detroit on Christmas Day, says the BBC's Matthew Price in New York.

'We will not rest'

Mr Holder said the US intelligence community had foiled what could have been a "devastating" attack.

US Attorney General Eric Holder: "It would have been deadly"

"This was one of the most serious terrorist threats to the nation since September 2001," he said, adding that there was no doubt American lives had been saved.

The plotters spent months planning to attack the subway.

The US Department of Justice said Zazi flew to Pakistan in 2008 with a view to fighting for the Taliban.

But he was recruited and trained by al-Qaeda on the Afghan-Pakistani border, and then dispatched back to the US armed with the knowledge to attempt an attack on the New York subway system.

Last September he rented a car in Denver, Colorado, and made the long drive to New York.

With him, he brought homemade explosives, planning to assemble the bombs over the weekend, and hit the subway just after the anniversary of the 11 September attacks.

Mr Holder said Zazi was under surveillance throughout his trip, and the investigation was ongoing.

"We will not rest until everyone responsible is captured," he said.

"We are at war with a very dangerous, intelligent and adaptable enemy and we must use every weapon we have to win that war."

Another two suspects - Adis Medunjanin and Zasrein Ahmedzay - said to be associates of Mr Zazi - were arrested over the plot last month.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Two arrested over 'NY bomb plot'
08 Jan 10 |  Americas
'Terror plot' Afghans denied bail
22 Sep 09 |  South Asia
NY homes raided in terror probe
14 Sep 09 |  Americas

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2013 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific