Languages
Page last updated at 22:49 GMT, Saturday, 23 January 2010

Haiti quake rescuers pull man from rubble after 11 days

Scene of rescue at Napoli Inn Hotel, Port-au-Prince, 23 Jan
A French rescue worker said the man may have had access to food

A Haitian man has been pulled alive from the rubble of a ruined hotel after 11 days, as the official search for quake survivors was declared over.

The 23-year-old man was carried on a stretcher from the Napoli Inn Hotel in the capital, Port-au-Prince.

Haitians and rescuers cheered as the man, seen to be smiling, was taken towards a waiting ambulance, the BBC's Adam Mynott reports from the scene.

Earlier, Haiti's government said search-and-rescue operations had ended.

UN spokeswoman Elizabeth Byrs in Geneva said the decision was "heartbreaking" but that it had been taken on the advice of experts.

HAITI'S REMARKABLE SURVIVORS
Lozama Hotteline with rescuers, Port-au-Prince, Haiti (19 Jan 2010)
Emmannuel Buso, 21 - rescued after 10 days
Marie Carida, 84 - saved after 10 days
Mendji Bahina Sanon, 11 - trapped for eight days
Lozama Hotteline, 25 - pulled out after seven days
Elisabeth Joassaint, 15 days - buried for seven days, half her life
Ena Zizi, 69 - rescued after seven days

She said most search-and-rescue teams would now be leaving Haiti, although some with heavy lifting equipment might stay to help with the clean-up operation and with aid distribution.

Rescuers said the man found on Saturday appeared to be in good condition, but thirsty.

French Fire Commander Samuel Bernes had earlier told AFP news agency he was thought to have been trapped under a piece of concrete but may have had access to food.

Two people, an 84-year-old woman and a 21-year-old man, were pulled alive from the rubble in Port-au-Prince on Friday.

The woman, who was found in the wreckage of her home seriously injured and severely dehydrated was taken to the main city hospital for treatment.

Her son said he had heard her cries on Thursday morning and, almost a day later, he dug her out with the help of friends.

The 21-year-old man, Emmannuel Buso, was pulled out alive by an Israeli search team and is said to be in a stable condition.

Speaking from his hospital bed, he described how he had had no food, and had drunk his own urine to keep thirst at bay.

The head of the Israeli team, Major Amir Ben David, said the rescue had given hope more people could be found alive.

BBC HAITIAN CREOLE SERVICE
Broadcasting on the radio daily at 0910 local time (1410 GMT)
Twenty-minute programme in Haitian Creole
Broadcasting on FM in Haiti's six largest cities
Also available on satellite and online, and via social media

More than 1,000 mourners gathered on Saturday by Port-au-Prince's shattered Roman Catholic Cathedral for the funeral of Haiti's Archbishop Joseph Serge Miot and a vicar, Charles Benoit.

President Rene Preval attended the service, joined by New York Archbishop Timothy Dolan and the Vatican's ambassador to Haiti.

"I came here to pay my respects to all the dead from the earthquake, and to see them have a funeral," mourner Esther Belizair told AP, saying that she had lost a cousin.

Few funeral services have been held in Haiti for those killed by the quake.

At least 75,000 bodies have so far been buried in mass graves, Haiti's government has said. Many more remain uncollected in the streets.

The BBC has started a new radio service in Creole, one of the country's main languages.

The 20-minute long daily broadcast, called Connexion Haiti, will try to give people up-to-date information about the basic services they need to survive - such as where to find food, clean drinking water, medical assistance and shelter.

An estimated 1.5 million people were left homeless by the 7.0-magnitude quake, which some have estimated has killed as many as 200,000 people.

The UN says 130,000 people have now been relocated out of Port-au-Prince, easing the pressure on overcrowded camps in the city.



Print Sponsor




FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific