Wismond Exantus was pulled from the ruins of a hotel after 11 days
Estimates of the numbers killed in the Haitian earthquake range from 100,000 to 200,000. This is how events unfolded after the quake - with a magnitude of 7.0 - struck at 1653 local time (2153 GMT) on Tuesday, 12 January.
An 84-year-old woman and 21-year-old man were pulled out alive in Port-au-Prince, but with no further signs of life reported the Haitian government declared the rescue effort over at 1600 local time (2100 GMT).
Later a massive benefit concert was broadcast to try to raise money for victims.
Hope for Haiti
telethon featured more than 100 Hollywood and music stars.
The concert, which took place in New York, Los Angeles, London and Haiti, included Bono, Bruce Springsteen, Sting, Rihanna, Brad Pitt, Clint Eastwood, Julia Roberts and Leonardo DiCaprio.
In a bid to deliver greater quantities of aid, the US military was operating at four airports in the region - Port-au-Prince and Jacmel in Haiti, and San Isidro and Barahona in the neighbouring Dominican Republic.
US Coast Guard
partially reopened the capital's main sea port which was damaged in the quake. Four vessels had docked by Thursday evening.
The magnitude 6.1 tremor struck west of Port-au-Prince at 0603 local time (1103 GMT).
The aftershock hit as people were still being found alive in the rubble from the original quake. They included a five-year-old boy reportedly pulled from the ruins of his home by his uncle. Earlier a 10-year-old girl and her eight-year-old brother were found.
More than 120 people altogether have been rescued by international teams.
Many victims unable to find treatment in Haiti, have crossed the border into the Dominican Republic. But the
BBC's Gary Duffy
says the volume of patients is so great the hospitals there are struggling to cope.
Haitian officials said the death toll from the quake was likely to be between 100,000 and 200,000, and that 75,000 bodies had already been buried in mass graves. An estimated 1.5 million are homeless.
TUESDAY 19 JANUARY
The US presence in the country increased as Black Hawk helicopters dropped scores of troops into the grounds of the ruined presidential palace.
Captain Steve McInerney: "They do rush the aircraft which can be expected"
The UN Security Council also voted unanimously to send a further 3,500 UN troops and police to Haiti, to maintain law and order.
Officials said the general security situation was stable, but the BBC's Nick Davis in Port-au-Prince said there were concerns that
looting and violence
were a growing threat.
Meanwhile, doctors said they were having to carry out
hundreds of amputations,
with only basic medical equipment, because of the large numbers of people suffering gangrene or traumatic injuries.
Search and rescue teams received a boost when an apparently unharmed elderly woman, Ena Zizi, was pulled from the rubble of the capital's Catholic cathedral, one of 90 people found alive in Haiti's ruins so far.
BBC's Christian Fraser
said that while some markets on the road to Port-au-Prince were still open, their supplies were running low and becoming increasingly expensive.
MONDAY 18 JANUARY
The leading US general in Haiti
Lt Gen Ken Keen
said it was a "reasonable assumption" that up to 200,000 people might have died in last Tuesday's earthquake.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said he would recommend that the Security Council boost UN troop numbers in Haiti by 2,000 for six months, and UN police numbers by 1,500.
Bill Clinton: "There's no question it's not enough, not quick enough"
Meanwhile, almost a week after the earthquake
violence and looting
have broken out in parts of Port-au-Prince. Police fired shots to disperse looters in parts of the capital.
UN police fired baton rounds to force a crowd back from the gates of the airport.
The former American President
who is in Haiti as a special UN representative, said that given the circumstances, it was understandable that there had been some disorder.
Thousands of people were fleeing the capital, Port-au-Prince, with many leaving for the countryside in the hope of finding food and water.
The BBC's Mark Doyle came across what is left of a poor community in the hills above the capital, to find a group of people - their homes destroyed - trying to heat up some food scraps in a pan of thin soup, their only meal of the day.
SUNDAY 17 JANUARY
First reports from the epicentre of Tuesday's earthquake suggested the damage was even more dramatic than in the capital.
BBC correspondents said the scene in
was "apocalyptic", with thousands left homeless and almost every building destroyed.
The UN said up to 80-90% of buildings in Leogane, about 19km (12 miles) west of Port-au-Prince, had been destroyed.
The extent of the damage in Haiti's villages
In the capital, survivors were becoming desperate as they waited for aid being handed out by international agencies.
But in a sign of hope, rescuers pulled a woman alive from the rubble.
"It's a little miracle," the woman's husband, Reinhard Riedl, told the Associated Press news agency after she was rescued from a luxury hotel.
The Pan American Health Organization put the death toll at 50,000-100,000, while Prime Minister Jean-Max Bellerive said 100,000 "would seem a minimum".
US Secretary of State
, the first senior overseas politician to arrive in Haiti, said the US would be "here today, tomorrow and for the time ahead", asserting that "Haiti can come back even better and stronger in the future".
SATURDAY 16 JANUARY
Desperation among survivors of the earthquake led to rising
fears over security
There were some reports of gangs preying on residents and looting, and officials said thousands of prisoners were unaccounted for after the main prison was destroyed.
Haitian President Rene Preval described the scene in the capital as "unimaginable".
"Parliament has collapsed. The tax office has collapsed. Schools have collapsed. Hospitals have collapsed," he said.
Speaking in Washington, US President Barack Obama vowed "unwavering support" for Haiti after what he called a "cruel and incomprehensible" disaster.
UN officials said at least 14 people had died when the UN's five-storey headquarters and two smaller buildings in Port-au-Prince collapsed. Around 100 were still thought to be missing, many feared to be under the rubble.
People in the capital were lifting sheets on bodies to try to identify loved ones.
TUESDAY 12 JANUARY
The quake - Haiti's worst in two centuries -
struck at 1653 (2153 GMT)
. Phone lines to the country failed shortly afterwards. The US Geological Survey said its epicentre was 15km (10 miles) south-west of Port-au-Prince, and that it was quickly followed by two strong aftershocks of 5.9 and 5.5 magnitude. The extent of the devastation was initially unclear.
In a statement issued in New York, the UN said that its local HQ in Haiti had "sustained serious damage along with other UN installations" and "a large number" of personnel were missing.
Rachmani Domersant, an operations manager with the Food for the Poor charity, told Reuters: "You have thousands of people sitting in the streets with nowhere to go. There are people running, crying, screaming."
Bodies white with dust could be seen piled on the back of a pick-up truck as vehicles tried to ferry the injured to hospital.
In the minutes after the quake, Henry Bahn, a visiting official from the US Department of Agriculture, said he had seen houses which had tumbled into a ravine.
"Everybody is just totally, totally freaked out and shaken," said Mr Bahn, who described the sky as "just grey with dust".
This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.