Woods has been at the top of the profession for many years
Golfer Tiger Woods was to blame for the car crash he was involved in outside his Florida home on Friday but will not face criminal charges, police say.
Maj Cindy Williams from Florida Highway Patrol said Woods was guilty of careless driving.
The golfer was found semi-conscious with facial injuries after his car reportedly hit a fire hydrant and tree.
The incident occurred in the exclusive suburb of Isleworth, in Orlando, at 0225 (0725 GMT).
At a news conference in Orlando, Maj Williams said the golfer had been given a traffic citation for careless driving.
If he is convicted, Woods faces a $164 (£99) fine and four points on his driving record.
She said: "Mr Woods has satisfied the requirements of Florida law by providing his driver's licence, registration and proof of insurance to us."
Her colleague Sgt Kim Montes said there was not sufficient evidence for police to issue a subpoena or seek any additional medical information from the golfer.
She added that there were no claims of domestic violence by any individual.
Police say they are closing the investigation
Officers were told Woods' wife Elin had used a golf club to break the car's rear window and help her husband out.
The 14-time major champion was admitted to hospital and later released.
Woods, who has been married for five years and has two young children, has recently been the subject of tabloid allegations about his private life.
On a statement on his website, before the news conference took place, Woods hit out at the "unfounded rumours" and said: "This situation is my fault, and it's obviously embarrassing to my family and me. I'm human and I'm not perfect. I will certainly make sure this doesn't happen again."
On Monday, the 33-year-old withdrew from his own golf tournament, the Chevron World Challenge, blaming injuries from the crash.