An 89-year-old man wanted in Germany on war crimes charges has been released from custody after his deportation from the US was blocked.
Earlier, US federal agents had detained John Demjanjuk at his home in Ohio, carrying him out in a wheelchair.
But a US federal appeals court granted an 11th hour stay of deportation after Mr Demjanjuk's family argued that he was too ill to be transported.
He is accused of being a guard at the Sobibor death camp in World War II.
Mr Demjanjuk denies the charges, claiming that he was captured by the Germans in his native Ukraine during the war and kept as a prisoner of war.
He was arrested at his home earlier on Tuesday and taken to a federal building in Cleveland, from where he was expected to be flown to Germany.
It's just a shame that Mr Demjanjuk had to go through the hell that he went through once again this morning
Demjanjuk family spokesman
But the 6th Circuit US Court of Appeals intervened to prevent the deportation while it examined the case further.
A spokesman for Mr Demjanjuk's family said they were "delighted" by the decision.
"It's just a shame that Mr Demjanjuk had to go through the hell that he went through once again this morning," said Ed Nishnic.
Mr Demjanjuk's son, John Demjanjuk Jr, said if the "madness and inhumane action" of deportation was not stopped his father would die in hospital in Germany without standing trial.
He also criticised the manner of the arrest, saying the government had not kept a promise to give three to five day's notice of their arrival and to collect his father in an ambulance.
The US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency has said it will continue electronic monitoring of Mr Demjanjuk and will "work co-operatively with the Department of Justice and the government of Germany to effect [his] removal".
Mr Demjanjuk arrived in the US in 1952 as a refugee, settling in Cleveland, Ohio, where he worked in the car industry.
DEMJANJUK CASE TIMELINE
1952: Gains entry into the US, claiming he spent most of the war as a German prisoner
1977: First charged with war crimes, accused of being "Ivan the Terrible"
1981: Stripped of US citizenship
1986: Extradited to Israel
1993: Israeli Supreme Court overturns conviction, ruling that he is not Ivan the Terrible
2002: Loses US citizenship after a judge said there was proof he worked at Nazi camps
2005: A judge rules in favour of deportation to his native Ukraine
2009: Germany issues an arrest warrant for him; US immigration agents seize him at his home
This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.