Languages
Page last updated at 20:23 GMT, Monday, 19 January 2009

Guantanamo pair defiant in court

Courtroom sketch showing Khalid Sheikh Mohammed at a pre-trial hearing at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba (19/01/2009)
Correspondents said the pre-trial hearing was chaotic at times

Two of the men accused of plotting the 9/11 attacks on the US have made unrepentant court appearances at pre-trial hearings at Guantanamo Bay.

Ramzi Binalshibh said he was proud of the attacks while Khalid Sheikh Mohammed said he did not fear death and was working "for the cause of God".

The two were among five men appearing at a chaotic hearing at the naval base.

US President-elect Barack Obama is expected to issue an order to close the camp within days of taking office.

The day's hearings were intended to determine whether Mr Binalshibh was mentally competent to represent himself.

He and his co-defendants have all said they do not want to be represented by US military lawyers.

The BBC's Jonathan Beale, who was at the hearing, said there were chaotic scenes in the courtroom with the defendants continually interrupting the military judge.

"We did what we did and we are proud of this. We are proud of 9/11," Mr Binalshibh told the courtroom in Arabic as guards removed his shackles.

This is terrorism, not court, you don't give us an opportunity to talk
Khalid Sheikh Mohammed

Earlier Mr Mohammed, who claims to have been tortured while in the camp and is the alleged mastermind of the 9/11 attacks, had requested the dismissal of all US lawyers on his bench.

"The people who tortured me received their salaries from the American government and the lawyers do too," he said.

He later told the court he and his co-defendants were not afraid of receiving the death penalty because they were "doing jihad for the cause of God".

When warned by the judge to stop interrupting the proceedings, he told them: ''This is terrorism, not court, you don't give us an opportunity to talk."

'Different course'

Guantanamo Bay camp at sunrise, 19 November
The detention camp has for a long time drawn international criticism
Both defence and prosecution lawyers had asked the military judges to delay proceedings until after Mr Obama's inauguration, but their request was refused.

The Pentagon last month withdrew and refiled charges in about 20 cases, saying this was merely a procedural step.

This has added to the air of uncertainty surrounding the trials, correspondents say.

A Canadian national, Omar Khadr, faces a separate hearing, accused of killing a US soldier in Afghanistan.

His lawyers are also arguing for certain statements to be suppressed, saying they were obtained through torture and coercion.

The US military says these were the result of "conversational and non-coercive interviews".

Mr Khadr, who was 15 years old at the time, is accused of throwing a grenade that killed a US soldier in Afghanistan in 2002.

Mr Khadr's trial is scheduled to begin on 26 January but his lawyer, Navy Lt Cdr Bill Kuebler, says he believes it is unlikely that the military tribunals will go ahead once Mr Obama is in office.

"It is simply unimaginable to think that these proceedings would continue when you have an administration that is on the record saying that so clearly," he said.

"What's very clear... is that they want to take a different course of action on Guantanamo."

Challenge

Barack Obama pictured on 12 December during a meeting with Mexican President Felipe Calderon
Mr Obama has said he knows closing the camp will be challenging
Last week, senior advisers confirmed that Mr Obama would issue an executive order within days of entering the White House to close the detention centre.

But shutting Guantanamo, where some 245 inmates remain, will not be immediate and Mr Obama himself has signalled that it will be a challenge.

His choice for attorney-general, Eric Holder, told his Senate confirmation hearing that he considered the interrogation technique of waterboarding to be torture.

The CIA has admitted using the technique on at least three terrorism suspects, including Mr Mohammed.

The Bush administration set up the Guantanamo Bay camp in 2002 to hold foreign terror suspects captured during the war against the Taleban and al-Qaeda in Afghanistan.

The camp once held some 750 inmates, believed to be mostly foreigners detained in Afghanistan on suspicion of being Islamist fighters.



Print Sponsor


RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2019 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific