Languages
Page last updated at 08:22 GMT, Thursday, 16 October 2008 09:22 UK

Voters' Views: Geoffrey Nolan

Barack Obama and John McCain have clashed in a fractious final TV debate before the US presidential poll.

Here Republican and Democratic voters from across the US reflect on how the candidates performed.


Geoffrey Nolan Salesman | Republican

Obama was utterly charming but the numbers simply don't add up

Geoffrey Nolan
Age: 62
Lives: Miami, Florida
Occupation: Canvas awning salesman
Last election voted:
Republican
In 10 words or fewer: Political duellist - fencing with relish but not without pity

"I've never seen McCain being so vigorous.

McCain claimed that Obama is proposing $800bn in new spending and the statement went unchallenged.

Obama says the 5% of the population that's rich will see a tax increase and that the other 95% will get a tax cut and health insurance guaranteed. At the same time he claims he'll balance the budget.

Obama was utterly disarming and charming but the numbers simply don't add up.

Asked where he'd have to cut spending, Obama announced plans to cut subsidies to insurance companies. That is a bit insulting to me.

On energy, Obama again disparaged off-shore drilling without taking into account the psychological effect drilling would have on speculators.

I was so glad McCain spoke up for Colombia. President Alvaro Uribe's father was ruthlessly murdered by the macabre Left. Yet he has summoned the strength of the nation to deal decisive blows to the Farc guerrilla army.

Obama demurs on any trade agreements with Colombia so as not to offend labour unions here, while stating that he'll be happy to meet unconditionally with Venezuela's mercurial and boorish Hugo Chavez. It is a moral inversion that I find deeply repugnant."


You can add your comments and questions on Geoffrey's views using the form below:

Name
Your E-mail address
Town & Country
Phone number (optional):
Comments

The BBC may edit your comments and not all emails will be published. Your comments may be published on any BBC media worldwide.


The readers' panel has been selected from as wide a cross-section of people as possible and may not be representative of wider US public opinion.





FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific