Page last updated at 08:38 GMT, Wednesday, 4 June 2008 09:38 UK

UK murder accused 'is innocent'

Neil Entwistle with wife Rachel and daughter Lillian Rose
Mr Entwistle says he fled the US after finding his wife and baby dead

The family of a British man standing trial for murdering his wife and baby have said he is "100% innocent".

Neil Entwistle, 29, from Worksop, Nottinghamshire, is charged with killing his wife Rachel and daughter Lillian Rose in Massachusetts in 2006.

Speaking outside the court in Woburn, Massachusetts, his parents Cliff and Yvonne said: "We know that our son Neil is innocent, 100% innocent."

Jury selection for his double murder trial is continuing.

Mr Entwistle's lawyer, Elliot Weinstein, said outside court: "His parents and his brother are here and it must be a wonderful feeling to know they are by his side."

'Suffered loss'

He added that his client's family planned to stay in the US until the case was concluded.

"They're here to support him," he said.

"It's a loss they have suffered. They lost Rachel. They lost Lillian and they stand in full support of Neil, and they know that Neil is not responsible for what has happened to their daughter-in-law and their granddaughter."

Mr Entwistle denies murder and related gun charges, but prosecutors say he scoured the internet for advice on how to kill.

Up to 150 potential jurors are being considered for the trial which is due to last at least three weeks at Middlesex Superior Court .

Mr Entwistle's American wife and their daughter were found dead in the house they were renting in Hopkinton on 20 January 2006.

'Fled US'

Prosecutors say he murdered them before fleeing the US for his parents' home in Worksop the following morning.

According to court papers, they claim that shortly before the murders his internet businesses had failed and he had run up debts of tens of thousands of pounds.

They also say he searched the internet for information on how to kill people and commit suicide.

But Mr Entwistle denies killing his wife and daughter and has told police that he panicked and fled the US after finding their bodies.

He was arrested on 9 February 2006 at Royal Oak underground station in west London and was transported back to the US by US Marshals.

He is also charged with possessing a firearm without a licence and possessing of a firearm without a federal ID card.

If convicted of the double murder he faces life in prison, without the possibility of parole.

Print Sponsor

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2019 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific