[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Thursday, 2 August 2007, 07:36 GMT 08:36 UK
Colombian man ends protest trek
Gustavo Moncayo
Mr Moncayo has been mobbed by well-wishers along the way
A man whose soldier son was abducted by rebels a decade ago has completed a seven-week walk across Colombia in protest at the plight of hostages.

Gustavo Moncayo, 55, arrived in the capital, Bogota, on Wednesday evening to ask President Alvaro Uribe to back a swap of prisoners for rebel captives.

The teacher carried out the 560-mile (900km) trek with his hands chained to symbolise the hostages' plight.

His son Pablo Emilio, then 19, was captured by Farc guerrillas in 1997.

Tens of thousands of people came out onto the streets of Bogota to greet Mr Moncayo.

Mr Uribe has reportedly agreed to meet the campaigner, who has vowed to camp out in a plaza near the president's palace until the government agrees a hostage deal.

'Whatever necessary'

Scores of politicians, police and soldiers have been kidnapped and held in secret jungle lairs by the rebels from the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (Farc).

"I will do whatever is necessary for my son and for peace in Colombia," Mr Moncayo told the Associated Press news agency as he neared the capital.

Pablo Emilio Moncayo - in an undated video
Pablo Emilio Moncayo appeared on the undated video
In early July, the Farc released a video showing seven hostages, some held for nearly a decade, pleading for the government to talk to their captors.

It was not clear when the video was made but Mr Moncayo's son was among those on the film.

Mr Moncayo has overcome nagging foot problems and withering sunshine to complete the march, which has had wide coverage on the national news.

He took out thousands of dollars in loans to fund the walk from his hometown of Sandona in the hills of south-west Colombia.

Mr Moncayo has been feted by well-wishers along the way and collected more than two million signatures in support of his campaign.

Peace calls

His protest march coincides with a period of widespread anti-Farc sentiment in Colombia, says the BBC's Americas editor, Will Grant.

Last month, huge numbers of people demonstrated across the country after 11 politicians held hostage by the guerrillas were killed.

Demonstrators called for a peaceful end to the country's civil conflict and many held banners in support of a humanitarian prisoner exchange between the government and the Farc.

Earlier this year, the government conditionally freed a number of key Farc prisoners with the aim of working towards a humanitarian agreement.

But the deaths of the politicians hardened the stance of Mr Uribe, who has repeatedly refused Farc demands that he withdraw government troops to create a safe haven as a condition for holding peace negotiations.




VIDEO AND AUDIO NEWS
Raising awareness of Colombia's kidnap victims



SEE ALSO
Colombia hostages in video appeal
04 Jul 07 |  Americas
Colombians hold hostage protest
05 Jul 07 |  Americas
Farc hostage escapes in Colombia
17 May 07 |  Americas
Colombia head 'ready for talks'
24 Feb 07 |  Americas

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific