Three men who claim to have fathered Anna Nicole Smith's five-month-old daughter are threatening legal action.
Her partner and lawyer, Howard K Stern; ex-boyfriend Larry Birkhead; and Zsa Zsa Gabor's husband, Prince Frederick von Anhalt, say they may be the father.
The child could inherit millions in the long-running court battle over her mother's former billionaire husband.
An initial post-mortem examination has failed to find what caused the former top model's death on Thursday.
But medical examiner Joseph Perper said he had not ruled out an overdose as a cause, and was waiting for the results of chemical analysis.
There was "no evidence" to suggest that Ms Smith's death was the result of a crime, a police spokesman said, adding the inquiry would remain open until medical tests were complete.
Ms Smith died only five months after the birth of her daughter, Dannielynn.
Three men are now claiming to be the father of the child, who is potentially heir to a multi-million dollar fortune.
Ms Smith married Texas oil billionaire J Howard Marshall II in 1994, not long after being named Playboy's Playmate of the Year. She was 26 and he was 89.
He died 14 months later, setting the stage for a battle over his estate that pitted Ms Smith against Mr Marshall's son.
The case has not yet been resolved, even though Mr Marshall's son died last year.
Ms Smith's own son Daniel died in September, leaving her daughter as her only surviving offspring.
Ms Smith said her lawyer and partner, Howard K Stern, was the father, but ex-boyfriend Larry Birkhead was demanding DNA testing before Ms Smith died.
The husband of Zsa Zsa Gabor, Prince Frederick von Anhalt, also says he may be the father.
A judge has ordered that Ms Smith's body be preserved until a paternity hearing later this month.