Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Americas
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-----------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-----------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Wednesday, 5 January, 2000, 20:53 GMT
Cuba boy decision: Despair and delight

Miami Cubans Cuban exiles threaten to 'paralyse' Miami over Elian's return


The US immigration service's decision to return Elian Gonzalez to his father in Cuba has outraged Cuban exiles in Miami, but been welcomed by surprised protesters in Cuba.

Anti-Castro activists in Miami have already demonstrated outside the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) building and there have been calls for a human chain to prevent officials taking the six-year-old boy away.

"The US Government is not sending him back to his father. They are sending him back to a mad old man, that is Fidel Castro. What kind of future is that?" said the boy's great uncle Delfin Gonzalez.

"That is an outrageous decision," said Jose Basulto, leader of Brothers to the Rescue, an exile group which searches for Cuban refugees in the Florida Straits.



It is a sad day for America, for freedom and for what this country stands for
Jose Basulto

Some community leaders have called for large scale protests to paralyse the city.

Lawyers acting for Elian's relatives who have looked after him since his rescue from the Atlantic Ocean, are planning to ask a federal judge to order an injunction to block the boy's repatriation.

Cuban surprise

Many people in Cuba were caught by surprise by the INS decision.

The latest protest demanding the boy repatriation's had been planned for Wednesday evening. But as news of the US move became known, people reacted with joy and relief.



The retention of the boy was a foul thing carried out by the Miami crowd with the help of the US government
Havana shop assistant

"It's the correct thing to give custody to the father. They should have done it long ago," said 57-year-old Havana shop assistant Julio Martinez.

"The retention of the boy was a foul thing carried out by the Miami crowd with the help of the [US] government."

"Now they are going to shout their heads off in Miami. But they are wrong, they have no right," said secondary school teacher Rafael Rodriguez, 49.

Cuba gave a guarded official response to the news and warned the information may cause "excessive optimism".

The state-owned Cuban Institute of Radio and Television issued a statement saying the reports from the US needed to be treated with "extreme care".

"We cannot build up our hopes ... that the US government will provide the most fair and correct solution to the problem in the face of the Cuban-American mafia and the extreme right-wing groups in the US Congress, which will resort to all means to prevent the boy's return to Cuba."

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Americas Contents

Country profiles

See also:
03 Jan 00 |  Americas
American churches back Cuban father
13 Dec 99 |  From Our Own Correspondent
Shipwrecked Cuban boy stirs mixed emotions
07 Dec 99 |  Americas
In pictures: Shipwreck boy sparks protests
05 Jan 00 |  Americas
Moves to solve shipwreck custody battle
21 Dec 99 |  Americas
Cuba resumes protests over shipwreck boy
24 Dec 99 |  Americas
Cuba attacks custody battle delay
13 Dec 99 |  Americas
Crucial talks over shipwreck boy
11 Dec 99 |  Americas
Asylum bid for shipwreck boy

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other Americas stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Americas stories