[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Thursday, 6 July 2006, 10:01 GMT 11:01 UK
Ex-leader denies Mexico massacre
Former President Luis Echeverria
Echeverria was interior minister at the time of the killings
Mexican ex-President Luis Echeverria has declared he is innocent of genocide charges stemming from an alleged massacre of students in 1968.

The ailing Mr Echeverria, under house arrest since Friday, made the declaration before a judge at his home.

He is accused of involvement in the deaths of up to 300 students when troops opened fire on protesters.

"Nothing proves that I was the author of or participated in any crime," Mr Echeverria said in a written statement.

'Absurd distortion'

Mr Echeverria's legal team said that although 43 protesters and troops were killed in clashes during the protest, this was not because of any "state policy of extermination".

Students march to mark the 1968 massacre
Mexican students still mark the 1968 Tlatelolco massacre
"To say that genocide was committed against students on 2 October 1968 is an absurd distortion of the clash that happened that day," his statement said.

Mr Echeverria was interior minister in 1968 at the time of the killings in Tlatelolco Square.

Prosecutors say up to 300 people may have died when government agents hidden among regular soldiers opened fire during the protest, which took place days before the Olympic Games opened in Mexico City.

But the former president denies allegations that he posted snipers on scores of buildings and gave orders to shoot.

'Dirty War'

In a surprise ruling last week, an appeals court ruled that there was enough evidence to support a charge of genocide against Mr Echeverria and ordered his arrest.

Outside the former president's residence, survivors of the clashes displayed signs reading "prison for the assassin" and called for his hearing to take place in public.

His lawyer, Juan Velasquez, has told the Associated Press news agency that Mr Echeverria would not serve time in prison because of his age.

Special prosecutor Ignacio Carillo has tried and failed twice previously to bring genocide charges against Mr Echeverria.

Hundreds died or disappeared during Mexico's "Dirty War" on leftists under Mr Echeverria's presidency between 1970 and 1976.

Outgoing Mexican President Vicente Fox, who leaves office in December, has vowed to bring to justice those responsible for killings and oppression in the country's past.




SEE ALSO
Warrant for Mexico ex-president
30 Jun 06 |  Americas
Mexico rejects 'dirty war' leak
02 Mar 06 |  Americas
Mexico 'dirty war' crimes alleged
27 Feb 06 |  Americas
No arrest for Mexico ex-president
22 Sep 05 |  Americas
Mexico ex-leader genocide charge
20 Sep 05 |  Americas
Ex-Mexico leader escapes charges
23 Feb 05 |  Americas
Families angry at Mexico ruling
25 Jul 04 |  Americas
Mexico allows 'dirty war' trials
30 Jun 04 |  Americas

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific