A 15-year-old Canadian girl with a peanut allergy did not die because of kissing her boyfriend who had eaten peanut butter, a coroner has ruled.
Peanut allergies can cause breathing problems
But Saguenay coroner Michel Miron did not reveal why Christina Desforges died last November because he has yet to make his final report.
The coroner said he wanted to speak out so the case would not be used by the Canadian Association of Food Allergies.
He said he believed the group wanted to use it in an education campaign.
"I had to tell them the cause of death was different than first believed," he said.
Miss Desforges died in hospital in Saguenay, about 155 miles (250km) north of Quebec City, last November, after she failed to respond to days of treatment.
Her 16-year-old boyfriend had kissed her some nine hours after he had eaten peanut butter on toast, the AFP news agency reported at the time.
"She was extremely allergic to peanuts and her boyfriend didn't know," a reporter for Canadian broadcaster TVA said.
Allergists at the time called the case very rare and worrisome.
The coroner Mr Miron said that, contrary to media reports at the time, she did not get an adrenalin shot, a standard treatment for anaphylactic shock, immediately after the kiss.
He said she had not used her syringe to give herself a shot because she did not have an allergic reaction to peanut butter.
Peanut allergy symptoms can include hives, a drop in blood pressure and swelling of the face and throat that can hinder breathing.