[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Thursday, 2 March 2006, 10:34 GMT
Mexico rejects 'dirty war' leak
Mexico's President Vicente Fox
Mr Fox will leave office after an election in July
Mexico's president has rejected as invalid a leaked draft of a report into accusations of state repression in the "dirty war" more than two decades ago.

In a BBC interview, Vicente Fox also made it clear that once the document is officially published next month, there would be no further investigation.

The Supreme Court had established it was too late to prosecute, he added.

Authorities are alleged to have killed or tortured hundreds of suspected left-wingers in the 1960s and 1970s.

The document awaiting official publication will be the final report by a prosecutor, Ignacio Carrillo, appointed by Mr Fox to investigate what became known as the "dirty war".

"He will have to render his report. It will be placed in an open, public place," the Mexican president told the BBC. "That will be there for history, but legally it's over."

Mr Carillo said earlier that the document would be published in April, and it would not be dissimilar to the leaked version. "It's not going to totally contradict the draft," he told reporters.

His work is concluding ahead of the presidential election in July 2006, after which Mr Fox leaves office.

'Electric shocks'

Earlier this week, a Mexican Magazine and the Washington-based National Security Archive printed material saying Mexicans had a right to know.

The leaked report - which covers 1964 to 1982 and is based partly on declassified Mexican military documents - alleged that the Mexican government and military committed "crimes against humanity".

Human rights activist Rosario Ibarra shows a photo of her son Jesus Piedra who disappeared in Mexico's so-called Dirty War
Hundreds of activists disappeared during the "dirty war"

It said units detained or summarily executed men and boys in villages suspected of links to rebel leader Lucio Cabanas. Detainees were forced to drink gasoline and tortured with beatings and electric shocks.

Bodies of dozens of leftists were dumped in the Pacific Ocean during helicopter "death flights" from military bases in Acapulco and elsewhere, the leaked report added.

Mr Fox set up an office in 2002 to probe possible human rights violations under the administrations of presidents Gustavo Diaz Ordaz (1964-70), Luis Echeverria (1970-76) and Jose Lopez Portillo (1976-82).

The office presented the report to the special prosecutor investigating past abuses on 15 December, but it was not released.

Correspondents say Mr Carrillo's work was thwarted by legal obstacles and a lack of resources, and he himself has recently described it as deficient.

The fatal blow came when the Mexican Supreme Court rejected Mr Carrillo's attempt to bring to trial former senior officials, including ex-president Echeverria, saying that legally it was too late for prosecutions.


SEE ALSO:
Mexico 'dirty war' crimes alleged
27 Feb 06 |  Americas
No arrest for Mexico ex-president
22 Sep 05 |  Americas
Mexico ex-leader genocide charge
20 Sep 05 |  Americas
Ex-Mexico leader escapes charges
23 Feb 05 |  Americas
Families angry at Mexico ruling
25 Jul 04 |  Americas
Mexico allows 'dirty war' trials
30 Jun 04 |  Americas



PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific