Friday, October 8, 1999 Published at 20:33 GMT 21:33 UK
Oklahoma bomb figure re-sentenced
168 were killed in the Alfred P Murrah building
A man who knew about plans for the Oklahoma bombing but failed to tell the authorities has been re-sentenced to 12 years in prison.
The term handed down to Michael Fortier, goes well above guidelines. But United States District Judge G Thomas Van Bebber said it reflected the death toll of 168 and the $80m damage caused by the explosion.
Fortier, 30, has already served more than four years in prison for his role in the attack on the Alfred P Murrah Federal Building in April 1995 - the worst ever terrorist attack in the US.
An appeals court told the judge to restart with involuntary manslaughter guidelines, which carried a lesser minimum sentence.
But on Friday, Mr Van Bebber re-imposed the same sentence. The judge noted that he could have sentenced Fortier to more than 12 years but said that would have appeared vindictive.
However, he did lower the fine from $200,000 to $75,000.
Defence lawyer Michael McGuire immediately lodged an appeal. He said Fortier had been "cast aside conveniently" by the government and given no credit for his help with the cases against bomber Timothy McVeigh and co-conspirator Terry Nichols.
McVeigh has already been sentenced to death for the bombing. Nichols is serving a life sentence for conspiracy to bomb.