[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Thursday, 12 May, 2005, 11:14 GMT 12:14 UK
Full text: Pasqua response
Charles Pasqua
Pasqua said the report repeated claims he had already denied
A US Senate committee says France's former Interior Minister Charles Pasqua was granted potentially lucrative oil allocations by Saddam Hussein's Iraq.

Mr Pasqua issued this statement to deny the allegations:

In the month of January 2004, a list of the 270 supposed recipients of vouchers in the oil-for-food programme, which was put in place by the United Nations' Security Council, was published in Iraq by al-Mada newspaper.

In January 2004, and then again in October 2004, I denied having received any advantages whatsoever, in any form, from the Iraqi authorities or the regime of Saddam Hussein.

The report published by the US Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations is largely based on these earlier reports. Once again, I deny the allegations.

The report also repeats allegations printed in articles in the Financial Times on 28 April, and the Italian daily newspaper, Il Sole 24 Ore. I am suing them for defamation.

Having not had any government responsibilities in France since 1995, I hope that those running the affairs of this country since that date will assume their own responsibilities.


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific