[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Friday, 11 November 2005, 01:25 GMT
Hezbollah denies Argentina bomb
The aftermath of the 1994 bombing of the Jewish centre in Buenos Aires
The blast was the worst terror attack in Argentina's history
Islamic militant group Hezbollah has denied that one of its members was the suicide bomber who attacked a Jewish community centre in Argentina in 1994.

An Argentine prosecutor said Ibrahim Hussein Berro of Lebanon had been identified in a joint effort by Argentine intelligence and the FBI.

But Hezbollah said that he had died in southern Lebanon while fighting Israel.

Argentina's Jewish community has for years sought a resolution to the attack in Buenos Aires that killed 85 people.

Islamic militants, backed by Iran, have long been suspected of carrying out the blast that wounded more than 200.

Prosecutor Alberto Nisman said friends and relatives had identified a photograph of Hussein Berro.

His two US-based brothers had testified that he had joined the radical Shia militant group, Mr Nisman said.

But Hezbollah described the accusations as "categorically false".

"The martyr Ibrahim Hussein Berro was among the mujahedeen [fighters] brothers who were martyred [killed] during a confrontation between the Islamic Resistance [Hezbollah] and the Israeli occupation forces in southern Lebanon," it said in a statement.

Sceptical of claims

The car bomb at the Jewish Argentine Mutual Association (AMIA) was one of two attacks targeting Argentina's 200,000-strong Jewish community in the 1990s.

Argentine, US and Israeli officials have all said that Iran is to blame - a charge Tehran denies.

Independent investigators are sceptical, correspondents say.

They point to repeated incompetence and deception in the official investigation, in which no proper autopsies or DNA tests were done on human remains at the site.

Members of Argentina's Jewish community have repeatedly accused the government of the former president, Carlos Menem, of obstructing the inquiry, which it denies.

In July 2005, President Nestor Kirchner's government issued a decree formally accepting a share of the blame for the failure of investigations into the AMIA attack.




SEE ALSO:
Buenos Aires bomber 'identified'
10 Nov 05 |  Americas
Argentina admits bomb probe blame
13 Jul 05 |  Americas
Argentine bomb probe judge sacked
03 Aug 05 |  Americas
Argentines rally for bomb justice
09 Sep 04 |  Americas
Argentina bomb suspects acquitted
02 Sep 04 |  Americas
Flashback: Argentina bomb
25 Aug 03 |  Americas


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific