[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Wednesday, 30 March, 2005, 22:51 GMT 23:51 UK
US court rejects new Schiavo plea
Vigil outside Terri Schiavo's hospice
Ms Schiavo's parents' supporters have been maintaining a vigil
A US federal appeals court has rejected the latest request by the parents of brain-damaged woman Terri Schiavo to have her feeding tube reinserted.

Correspondents say time is running out for Mrs Schiavo, who has now been 12 days without food or water.

Doctors predicted the 41-year-old was likely to survive up to two weeks from the moment her tube was removed.

The case has divided US public opinion, pitting her parents against her husband Michael, who wants to allow her to die.

Legal experts are sceptical that the courts will make any decision which would change the outcome of events, reports BBC's Lesley Curwen in Washington.

"Any further action by our court or the district court would be improper," said a statement by the court, which had already rejected arguments from Mr Schiavo's parents three times in the last week.

"While the members of her family and the members of Congress have acted in a way that is both fervent and sincere, the time has come for dispassionate discharge of duty."

Mrs Schiavo, who has been fed by artificial means since she suffered severe brain damage when her heart stopped briefly in 1990, had her feeding tube removed by court order on 18 March.

Courts at all levels in the US have sided with Mr Schiavo who claims his wife told him when she was well that she would never want to be kept alive by artificial means.

TERRI SCHIAVO CASE
File photo of Terri Schiavo
Feb 1990: Mrs Schiavo collapses
May 1998: Mr Schiavo files petition to remove feeding tube, triggering legal battle
Oct 2003: Florida's lower house passes "Terri's Law", allowing governor to order doctors to feed Mrs Schiavo
Sept 2004: Florida Supreme Court strikes down law
18 Mar 2005: Florida court allows removal of tube
22 Mar 2005: Federal judge turns down parents' appeal
23 Mar 2005: Appeals court backs federal ruling
25 Mar 2005: Federal judge rejects parents' second appeal
26 Mar 2005: Florida state judge rejects parents' appeal; judgement upheld by Florida Supreme Court
29 Mar 2005: Appeals Court grants parents leave to appeal
30 Mar 2005: Appeals Court rejects parents' appeal

But the parents, Mary and Bob Schindler, disagree and have appealed to him to save their daughter's life.

"Terri is still with us," Mr Schindler said before Wednesday's court's ruling.

"Under the circumstances she looks darned good, surprisingly good.

"She's still fighting and we're still going to fight for her. We'll do whatever we can to save her and it's not too late.

"I am asking that nobody throws in the towel while she still is with us."

On Tuesday, the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals said the Schindlers would be allowed to file an emergency motion to argue their case - even though they were due to have done this on 26 March.

The Schindlers said the Atlanta court should hear facts about their daughter's situation - not procedural arguments that have formed the basis for the rejection of their previous appeals.

They argued that Mrs Schiavo remains responsive, even though court-appointed doctors have said Mrs Schiavo will not recover.


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific