Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Archive
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Thursday, July 29, 1999 Published at 17:51 GMT 18:51 UK


World: Americas

Nato commander denies snub

Still in a job for now: Gen Clark inspects troops on his Baltic tour

US General Wesley Clark has again denied that the decision to replace him three months early as Nato's supreme commander is a punishment for his actions in the Kosovo conflict.

Kosovo: Special Report
"This is just a routine personnel action," he told a news conference while on a visit to Latvia.

He also welcomed the decision to replace him with Air Force General Joseph Ralston.


[ image: General Joseph Ralston -
General Joseph Ralston - "a very fine man" says General Clark
However, despite his claims of a smooth succession, a Washington Post editorial said his early removal "can only undermine the (US's) ostensible commitment to bring peace to the Balkans".

It said Gen Clark had been criticised for being "too political" simply because he wanted to "use his authority to actually accomplish something".

The paper said that he had led the alliance to a victory in Kosovo that essentially saved its credibility and its future.

It said he managed to forge a successful strategy while taking orders from 19 separate allied governments, which did indeed require him to have political skills.

Frustration

Gen Clark has repeatedly denied speculation that the decision for him to leave his post next April instead of next July was due to his handling of the alliance's 11-week air war against Yugoslavia.

However an editorial in The Los Angeles Times said that "differences with the White House and the Pentagon clearly are factors in Clark's departure".

Correspondents say he consistently urged more aggressive tactics, including the possibility of a ground invasion of Kosovo if the air strikes failed.

His request to use Apache attack helicopters in the air war was turned down by the Pentagon.

In an interview published in The New Yorker magazine, Gen Clark acknowledged his frustration with what he called "the only air campaign in history in which lovers strolled down riverbanks in the gathering twilight ... to watch the fireworks".

The US Defence Department said Gen Clark's early departure was not a result of dissatisfaction with his performance, but part of a general rotation of American senior ranks.

Nato Secretary-General Javier Solana paid a warm tribute to Gen Clark who, he said, "has made and will continue to make a major contribution to peace in Europe and to the shaping of a new alliance ready for the 21st Century".



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

28 Jul 99 | Americas
Nato commander to leave early

10 Jun 99 | Europe
Serbs agree full withdrawal

04 Jun 99 | Europe
Contacts kick off peace plan

01 Jun 99 | Europe
Nato's bombing blunders

17 May 99 | Europe
Nato 'must use troops'

28 Apr 99 | Europe
Nato threatens escalating air war

25 Mar 99 | Europe
'Comply or be destroyed'





Internet Links


US Department of Defence

BBC News Online's profile of Gen Clark

Nato


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

From Business
Microsoft trial mediator appointed

Safety chief deplores crash speculation

From Entertainment
Taxman scoops a million

Violence greets Clinton visit

Bush outlines foreign policy

Boy held after US school shooting

Memorial for bonfire dead

Senate passes US budget

New constitution for Venezuela

North Korea expels US 'spy'

Hurricane Lenny abates

UN welcomes US paying dues

Chavez praises 'advanced' constitution

In pictures: Castro strikes out Chavez

WTO: arbitration in EU-Ecuador banana dispute

Colombian army chief says rebels defeated

Colombian president lambasts rebels