[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Friday, 24 September, 2004, 22:44 GMT 23:44 UK
New split in anti-Chavez alliance
Giant anti-Chavez campaign sign at a Caracas traffic intersection, 2 August 2004
The opposition failed to secure a Yes vote in its bid to oust Chavez
Venezuela's opposition alliance is continuing to unravel as a third political party, Primero Justicia, has announced it is pulling out.

One of the party's leaders, Julio Borges, said the country needed to bridge the divide between supporters and opponents of President Hugo Chavez.

Earlier, the alliance failed in a new bid to overturn Mr Chavez's victory in a referendum on his rule last month.

Two other key opposition members left the alliance earlier this week.

Announcing the move, Mr Borges said the Democratic Co-ordinator alliance had "completed a phase" and that Venezuela was now seeking an alternative.

"It makes no sense for a country to split because of the effect of one person," he said, referring to Mr Chavez.

"We understand that there are people who support the regime and others who oppose it, but we're all Venezuelans here and what unites us is stronger than what separates us: we want a country of opportunities for all."

Fraud denied

The first split in the alliance opened up on Tuesday, when two politicians - Antonio Ledezma of the Alianza Bravo Pueblo party and Andres Velazquez of the Causa R party - said they and their followers were pulling out in a row over tactics.

They said they opposed moves to contest regional elections on 31 October, because the electoral system was unreliable.

Mr Chavez's opponents say there was large-scale fraud in the referendum on his presidency, but foreign observer bodies rejected the assertion.

Correspondents said the resignations were a further sign of division in the Venezuelan opposition since the 15 August referendum.

They said Mr Chavez's opponents risked losing control of key local strongholds in next month's vote.

Also on Friday, Venezuela's electoral council dismissed an attempt by Democratic Co-ordinator to challenge the referendum result.

The head of the council, Jorge Rordriguez, said Mr Chavez's opponents had presented no specific evidence to back up their claims of fraud.

The opposition described the decision as another act of fraud against the country's constitution.


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific