Languages
Page last updated at 20:24 GMT, Monday, 11 January 2010

Angola 'arrests' after Togo football team attack

An Angolan soldier stands guard, 10/11
Angola has tightened security in Cabinda in recent days

Angolan authorities have arrested two people over a deadly attack on Togo's football team at the Africa Cup of Nations tournament, state media say.

Angola's National Radio reported that two suspects were arrested in the northern province of Cabinda - where Togo's team bus was attacked on Friday.

Cabinda has seen a low-level insurgency for many years.

Two Togolese officials and an Angolan bus driver were killed in Friday's attack and the team has returned home.

The attack has overshadowed the start of the Cup of Nations - a showpiece event for both Angola, recovering from years of war, and African football ahead of the World Cup in June, which the continent is hosting for the first time.

National mourning

The team was attacked by gunmen as its bus made its way from a training camp in the Republic of Congo to the venue in Cabinda City.

AT THE SCENE
Matthew Kenyon
Matthew Kenyon, BBC News, Cabinda

The thoughts of many Cabinda residents have now turned to football. They are eagerly looking forward to the city's first match on Monday afternoon.

It is impossible to exaggerate the excitement felt by people here at the prospect of seeing players like Didier Drogba and Michael Essien in the flesh. It is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

At the airport on Friday, before news of the attack on Togo had come through, hundreds of fans gathered to see the Ivorian team arrive.

Not that the town is unchanged. Security is much more in evidence on the streets of Cabinda city, with armed police on many street corners and mobile patrols in vehicles. The city is also watched from above by paramilitary police units in helicopters and by the Angolan air force.

But on the streets most locals want to talk about and think about football.

A faction of the Cabinda separatist rebel group, Front for the Liberation of the State of Cabinda (Flec), has claimed responsibility for the 30-minute machine-gun attack.

Angolan media quoted officials saying two Flec fighters were arrested near the site of the attack.

After recovering from their initial shock, Togo's footballers had wanted to continue playing in the tournament, but their government ordered their withdrawal.

"Our decision to withdraw the team is really based on the security consideration and what we believe is a mismanagement of what has happened," Prime Minister Gilbert Houngbo told the BBC's World Today programme.

He said his concerns had been "totally disregarded" by officials in Angola and the Confederation of African Football (Caf).

Togo were officially disqualified from the cup when they failed to appear for their scheduled fixture against Ghana on Monday.

Meanwhile, people in Togo are in a state of shock at the attack and still trying to come to terms with what happened in Cabinda, says the BBC's Ebow Godwin in Lome, Togo's capital.

'Set up'

Church services for the two officials killed have been taking place and flags are at half-mast across the country, our correspondent says.

TOGO TEAM ATTACK
Cabinda, Angola map

Togo's team bus attacked 8 Jan as it drove from training camp in Republic of Congo to Cabinda, an enclave of Angola
Assistant coach, press officer and Angolan driver killed; several players injured
A faction of separatist group Flec has claimed responsibility
Two suspected members of Flec reported arrested 11 Jan

Questions are being raised about whether Angola should have chosen Cabinda to host any matches.

The province is separated from the rest of Angola by part of the Democratic Republic of Congo.

The head of Flec-Position Militar (Military Position), the faction which says it carried out the attack, told the BBC it was fighting what he called Angola's illegal occupation of Cabinda.

"The attack was not directed against the Togo bus, it was against Angolan forces.

"It is very sad for us as well because Flec isn't about killing foreigners, but Cabinda is at war despite the lies about this by the Angolan government," Rodriguez Mingas told the BBC's Portuguese service.

Togolese football officials have been criticised for arranging to drive through areas where rebels were known to be active.

Africa Nations Cup official Virgilio Santos said all teams had been told explicitly not to travel to the tournament by road.

Richard Dowden, director of the Royal African Society, told the BBC's Today programme it was "absolutely astounding" that the Togolese football team were allowed to travel to Cabinda overland.

He said officials mount huge security operations when they visit the province - and generally fly there in planes or helicopters.

"Cabinda has got this particular problem with a nationalist movement that has kidnapped foreigners and attacks foreigners whenever it can," he said.

"[The rebels] must have known they were coming - it's absolutely clear that it was set up."

The first tournament fixture to be played in Cabinda passed off peacefully on Monday.

The BBC's Alex Capstick said security was tight, with the opposing teams - Ivory Coast and Burkina Faso - being given police escorts to the ground.

Military helicopters are circling the city carrying heavily armed paramilitary police known as "ninjas", he adds.

Togo's assistant coach and media spokesman were killed in the attack along with the team's bus driver.

Several others were injured, including goalkeeper Kodjovi Obilale who was taken to South Africa for treatment.

Doctors said he had bullet fragments in his stomach, but was recovering well.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Q&A: Cabinda conflict
12 Jan 10 |  Africa
Togo's Nations Cup exit confirmed
11 Jan 10 |  African
Optimism to horror after Togo attack
09 Jan 10 |  Africa
World Cup boss hits back at Brown
12 Jan 10 |  African
Togo footballers tell of attack
08 Jan 10 |  Africa
Africa Cup of Nations: Venue guide
07 Jan 10 |  Africa
Country profile: Angola
07 Apr 11 |  Country profiles

RELATED BBC LINKS

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2013 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific