BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 3 January 2008, 16:24 GMT
Nairobi chaos: Eyewitness accounts
Angry crowds in Nairobi have dispersed following violent clashes between protesters and Kenyan police.

People across the capital have been updating the BBC website about their experiences throughout the day.

1530 GMT (1830 local time): BONFACE OMBONGI, 21, STUDENT

I did not return to town to continue with my protest. They postponed the rally until next week so I shall try to go then.

Uhuru gathering crowds
Police have fired tear gas on protesters
After the violence began to break out my friends and I left the scene. We all cycled back home on the main road and the city looked empty. We did not want to go back in. We decided to come home and have a peaceful day.

I am now in Kahawa where there is no violence. People are not chaotic here, they are just going about their jobs. I see people on the streets.

I watched on television about the violence continuing in the city and I was glad that I left the scene. But next week, I am prepared to rally and protest again.


Geoffrey Otieno
Geoffrey Otieno is trapped at work while violence rages outside

I am so relieved! Finally, I'm at my own place. I'm home. I left office at about 2.30 and I had to walk all the way home.

It took me three to four hours and I only just got home.

There was nothing on the way. There were no buses running just streets full of people walking home. It was the strangest sight. Shops were closed, the roads were quite empty of vehicles. We all walked home minding our own business.

I saw no signs of the earlier trouble or chaos. It was so peaceful really.

But I was still nervous after what I experienced earlier in the day. What could I do? I had to get home one way or another.

Now, I'm so glad to be home. I feel great happiness. There is no sign of violence here. I don't think I'm leaving this place tomorrow.

I'm staying right here at home.


Adoka Kinyoda
Adoka Kinyoda fled her home last night

I've heard that there is no-one in the city centre at the moment. I've just stayed indoors all day watching the news. I want to try and take a walk later on.

One of my housemates went outside and said that all the vegetable stalls and all the small shops and kiosks were closed. Everybody is gone.

Nairobi has become a ghost town.

I'll try to go to work tomorrow. If things are bad, I'll just come back home. We really want to get on with life.

But I won't be returning to my own permanent home for some time now, especially after my experiences last night. I heard that in that area today they burned down several kiosks. I think I will stay away from my home for some time.

The two opposing sides are reaching a stalemate I don't know how long this is going to go on for. I don't know for how long I won't be able to go inside my own front door.


I went to protest in the centre of Nairobi this morning. I was there with my friends. We went to protest peacefully but we met a mob on the way and joined them.

We were all going to Uhuru Park to make our views known. So we all travelled together.

The mob ran away and then they surged back again
The mob was full of ordinary men, just people from the slums of Kibera. We all wanted justice and we want to see Kibaki go. We just want our democratic rights and that is why we went to protest.

The police had blocked all the roads and they were surrounding U park. The whole place was looking like an army barracks.

At first we were just shouting slogans like "No Raila, No Peace". We were shouting that we wanted justice. Some of us were talking to the police, telling them that we come in peace.

But the situation was very tense.

There were about 200 people and the ODM supporters were trying to match up with the anti-riot police. They wanted the rally to go ahead.

For most of the time I was there, it was not that violent. The police just stood there. But when the mob tried to get into town the police shot tear gas at the mob. I saw one guy take a tear gas canister and throw it right back at the police.

At that point I felt it could get violent. I was a bit scared. So I left the protest and came to the outskirts of Nairobi. That was around 11.30am and I have not returned.

As I was leaving, the police shot more tear gas on the mob. The mob ran away and then they surged back again.


I am trapped in my office and I am feeling really terrified. The crowds are outside at the gate and they are angry.

I was the only one of my office who turned up at work this morning and so I am here alone with the watchman who is at the gate and who is also really scared. I don't know how I can get out of this place.

The guys out there are really angry
My office is at Dunga road, near the Nyayo Stadium. That road is currently blocked and police are sitting there and they are shooting down towards Dunga road because that is where the crowd is. I know they are shooting tear gas canisters.

I can see the crowd shouting and running all over the place, just running around in chaos. They are making strange noises and screaming and I can hear gunshots ringing out from time to time.

It's mostly men on the streets and they are throwing stones back at the police and screaming at them.

Yesterday, everything was fine and guys were working. There was no roadblock on the way to work this morning. I didn't even carry my identity card. If the police catch me now, they will ask for that.

I think there is violence here because people are streaming out from the Kibera slums to get to the Uhuru Park. The guys out there are really angry.


I have fled my home to a distant suburb of Nairobi. It was not safe in my home district. I live close to the Kibera slums and what I saw last night really scared me.

Last night at 2am I heard shouts from my neighbours and when I looked out of my bedroom window, my blood went cold.

I saw men with machetes running towards our gate. I was absolutely terrified. They kept running towards our direction as if they were going to attack our houses. We heard that the people of Kibera had burned down the market.

I couldn't get through to the police so I moved out to a suburb close to the airport. Who knows? I may need to fly out of the country as well.

This morning I went to work. I passed Uhuru Park and saw that it was closed off by the paramilitary. Just the sight of them made me see that things were not going to be good. Everything was quiet, calm, an eerie calm.

But I heard reports of people having to walk back home last night and so I left work early otherwise I would have to pass through the city centre.

Now I am waiting out here while the centre of Nairobi is in utter chaos. I am so sad and disappointed in the current president. He has trampled on our rights. What was the use in us voting?

He is misusing power. He continues stepping on our heads and this is why people are coming out in anger.

This is raw anger. And people are saying: "We don't want you here. We want you to go."

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific