Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-----------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-----------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Tuesday, 15 February, 2000, 19:55 GMT
Rwandan genocide suspects arrested in Europe

Rwanda's genocide Around 800,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus were killed in Rwanda


Two former Rwandan military officers have been arrested, the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) said.

In a statement, the tribunal said that Francois-Xavier Nzuwonemeye was arrested in France and Innocent Sagahutu in Denmark.

The statement was issued by chief prosecutor Carla del Ponte in Arusha, Tanzania, where the tribunal sits.

The ICTR said that the accused would be transferred to Arusha "as soon as the practical details of the their transfer can be arranged". High-ranking military

Carla del Ponte Chief prosecutor Carla del Ponte confirmed the arrests
The statement described the two men as "high-ranking military officers", but it did not give their ranks.

Mr Sagahutu, identified as a former Rwanda army captain, is wanted in connection with the murder of Rwanda's former Prime Minister Agathe Uwilingiyimana.

He is also accused of involvement in the killing of 10 Belgian peacekeepers deployed to protect her at the start of the 1994 genocide in Rwanda.

During the atrocities, ethnic Hutu extremists slaughtered 800,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus.

ICTR spokesman Kingsley Moghalu said Mr Sagahutu was among several army officers allegedly involved in ordering the murders.

Six charges

He now faces six charges of genocide and crimes against humanity for that and other alleged atrocities.

"He was also responsible for several massacres of Tutsis in Kigali and other parts of the country," Mr Moghalu said.

He added that Mr Nzuwonemeye as former Rwandan major but did not give details of his alleged crimes.

The ICTR came under criticism last year after its appeal court ordered the release of a key suspect on a technicality.

But it has regained credibility with the arrest of several suspects in Europe.

According to the ICTR, Mr Nzuwonemeye is the second genocide suspect to be arrested in France in less than three months, after former minister Jean de Dieu Kamuhanda was apprehended in November at Bourges.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Africa Contents

Country profiles

See also:
16 Feb 00 |  Africa
Rwanda tribunal's shaky progress
09 Feb 00 |  Africa
Genocide suspect faces trial
27 Jan 00 |  Africa
Rwandan factory boss guilty of genocide
22 Jan 00 |  Africa
Rwanda updates genocide list
18 Mar 99 |  Africa
Eyewitness: Rwanda's survivors

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories