Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-----------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-----------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


The BBC's Martin Dawes
"The footage gives a rare insight into unbelievable horror"
 real 28k

Wamba dia Wamba
" We're doing what we can to end the war"
 real 28k

Saturday, 29 January, 2000, 19:33 GMT
End Congo massacres, urges aid agency

Eastern DR Congo has seen bloody intercommunal fighting


Another Rwanda-style crisis is looming in the northeast of the Democratic Republic of Congo, according to an international aid agency.

Christian Blind Mission (CBM), which on Friday released a grisly video of butchered victims and burning villages, said up to 5,000 people have been killed and thousands more displaced in months of tribal fighting.

"If intervention is not made immediately, we have another Rwanda situation looming, and I personally don't want to say after it has happened, 'Yes, we saw the signs, we should have done something'," the agency's regional director David McAllister told Reuters.



The agency's account is backed up by Medecins sans Frontieres (MSF) which talked last week of a "few thousand" dead and 150,000 displaced by the conflict in a rebel-held part of DR Congo. The video footage, shot on 9 January after a series of attacks on the village of Blukwa, around 50 km (30 miles) northeast of Bunia, shows a child with deep machete wounds, and a school in flames.

MSF-Holland officials said they had temporarily suspended operations in and around Bunia on Saturday because aid workers had themselves become targets in the conflict, and because they were unable to reach the neediest people.


Ethnic strife
Lendu: animal herders, more numerous
Hema: farmers, richer
Tensions aggravated by civil war
Mr McAllister said the Lendu had been responsible for the vast majority of the attacks, and were now adding modern weapons to their traditional armoury of machetes, spears and arrows.

But he knew of at least one report of Hemas attacking a Lendu village.

Bunia, the main town in the region, is the headquarters of one of the Congo's rebel factions, a Ugandan-backed wing of the Congolese Rally for Democracy led by Ernest Wamba dia Wamba.

Mr Wamba dia Wamba told the BBC that 1,200 people had died in the violence since August, and described reports of 5,000-7,000 deaths as grossly exaggerated.

He said his group and the Ugandan army - which has a battalion in the area - were doing their best to contain the clashes.

He said the two communities had defied efforts by a commission to resolve their differences over land use and political posts.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Africa Contents

Country profiles

See also:
24 Jan 00 |  Africa
African leaders demand UN deployment

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories