Forces loyal to a Democratic Republic of Congo presidential candidate have started to leave Kinshasa, following an ultimatum from President Joseph Kabila.
Soldiers have been stationed across Kinshasa
About 50 men have left their base at Jean-Pierre Bemba's residence in the city centre, the army says.
Mr Bemba's forces had been given until Friday to leave Kinshasa, amid high tensions after he complained of fraud in last month's election run-off.
The electoral commission says Mr Kabila won, with 58% of the vote.
The Supreme Court is expected to rule on Mr Bemba's claims of fraud later on Thursday.
Mr Bemba, a former rebel leader, has an armed guard of around 600 men, the UN says, although he is only allowed to have 100, as a vice-president in the outgoing power-sharing government.
The first batch of his guards have been moved in a military truck to Maluku, a residential area on the banks of the Congo river, 80km (50 miles) east of Kinshasa.
Correspondents say Mr Bemba had come under intense diplomatic pressure to agree to the relocation.
"It shows that Jean Pierre Bemba's party has understood that it is necessary," said a spokesman for the UN's peacekeeping mission in DR Congo.
The chief of staff of the Congolese army said that it was an ongoing process.
Mr Bemba has challenged the election result in court
The operation was carried out by the Congolese army, without foreign peacekeepers.
The BBC's Arnaud Zajtman in Kinshasa says soldiers are deployed at strategic points and this has created fear of further fighting.
Security forces loyal to the two men clashed in August, leaving at least 23 people dead in the capital, Kinshasa.
The capital is a stronghold of Mr Bemba.
Armoured vehicles of the UN peacekeeping force and European troops are also patrolling the city, but a UN spokesman said disarming soldiers by force was not part of its mandate.
On Tuesday, a protest by Mr Bemba's supporters outside the Supreme Court led to violence.
The court was set on fire and its hearings had to be suspended.
The court must still confirm the provisional results.
The elections were supposed to draw a line under a five-year conflict in which some four million people died.
The polls were organised under the terms of a 2002 peace deal that drew in the armies of nine other African countries.
Under the deal, former rebels forced were supposed to be integrated into the army but progress has been slow and the three former rebel leaders who are vice-presidents have retained large personal security forces.
The world's biggest peacekeeping force - some 17,000 men - is in DR Congo to prevent unrest.