Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Archive
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Tuesday, November 16, 1999 Published at 02:23 GMT


World: Africa

DR Congo repeats ceasefire charges


The government in the Democratic Republic of Congo has renewed its accusations that rebels are violating the ceasefire they signed three months ago.

In a statement broadcast on state television, the commander of north-western Equateur Province Brigadier-General Jean-Gerard Mabila said rebels last week attacked government forces at several centres Esanzani, Oso Arama and Lekete.

He accused the United Nations of failing to condemn what he said were repeated ceasefire violations by the rebels, who control most of the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of Congo.

The rebels say the Kinshasa authorities have launched a military offensive against them.

Kinshasa says this is untrue and that it is sticking to the Lusaka peace accords. The accords were signed by President Kabila and five other heads of state involved in the Congo war in July, and by the rebels at the end of August.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage |




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia


In this section

Dam builders charged in bribery scandal

Burundi camps 'too dire' to help

Sudan power struggle denied

Animal airlift planned for Congo

Spy allegations bug South Africa

Senate leader's dismissal 'a good omen'

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Zimbabwe constitution: Just a bit of paper?

South African gays take centre stage

Nigeria's ruling party's convention

UN to return to Burundi

Bissau military hold fire

Nile basin agreement on water cooperation

Congo Brazzaville defends peace initiative

African Media Watch

Liberia names new army chief