Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Archive
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Saturday, November 6, 1999 Published at 15:49 GMT


World: Africa

Rwandan fury as genocide suspect freed

A soldier studies a memorial to the massacre victims

Rwanda is suspending co-operation with the UN-organised international criminal tribunal, following its decision to free a former government official accused of genocide.

The government said the release of Jean-Bosco Barayagwiza was a travesty of justice of monstrous proportions for which there could be no conceivable justification.

"We're suspending all of our collaboration until we reach an understanding," said Patrick Mazimhaka, a minister of state in the Office of Rwandan President Pasteur Bizimungu.


The BBC's Chris Simpson: ''The government said the release was a travesty of justice''
The Rwandan government said Mr Barayagwiza was well known in Rwanda as a political extremist and a co-founder of a radio station which incited the killing of Tutsis in 1994.

Mr Barayagwiza was released on Friday in Tanzania after the tribunal's appeals court ruled there had been irregularities in the proceedings against him.

The appeal court judges, sitting in The Hague in the Netherlands, said he had been detained too long without trial.

They ordered him transferred to authorities in Cameroon.

'Fanatical ideologue'

Mr Barayagwiza, 48, had denied multiple charges including genocide and crimes against humanity.

Around 800,000 minority Tutsis and moderate Hutus were slaughtered during the 1994 Rwandan massacre.

Mr Barayagwiza was serving in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at the time and was a senior official for the notorious Rwandan hate radio station, Mille Collines, which was blamed for helping to incite the genocide.

The government said Mr Barayagwiza was a fanatical ideologue who had played a leading role both before and during the genocide campaign.

Rwandan General Prosecutor Gerald Gahima said: "You don't just let someone accused of such serious offences off the hook merely on the grounds that they were held for a few months longer than necessary."





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

06 Nov 99 | Monitoring
Prosecutor: The people feel betrayed

14 Sep 99 | Africa
Rwandan bishop in the dock

21 Jun 99 | Monitoring
The sound of hatred

31 Mar 99 | Africa
Rwanda slaughter 'could have been prevented'

20 Mar 99 | Africa
Extradition call for Rwanda suspect

19 Mar 99 | Africa
Rwanda tribunal frees suspect

18 Mar 99 | Africa
Eyewitness: Rwanda's survivors

27 Apr 98 | From Our Own Correspondent
From butchery to executions in Rwanda





Internet Links


International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda

Rwanda Government

Rwanda Information Exchange

Amnesty International: Publications on Rwanda


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Dam builders charged in bribery scandal

Burundi camps 'too dire' to help

Sudan power struggle denied

Animal airlift planned for Congo

Spy allegations bug South Africa

Senate leader's dismissal 'a good omen'

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Zimbabwe constitution: Just a bit of paper?

South African gays take centre stage

Nigeria's ruling party's convention

UN to return to Burundi

Bissau military hold fire

Nile basin agreement on water cooperation

Congo Brazzaville defends peace initiative

African Media Watch

Liberia names new army chief