[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Friday, 2 June 2006, 12:31 GMT 13:31 UK
Media boss sentenced for genocide
Joseph Serugendo
Joseph Serugendo was arrested in Gabon last year
A former Rwandan media director has been sentenced to six years in prison after admitting inciting violence during the 1994 genocide.

Joseph Serugendo this week agreed a plea bargain at a UN court, under which charges of genocide were dropped.

Serugendo, 53, is terminally ill. He was reportedly unable to stand in court and he remained expressionless as the sentence was delivered.

Some 800,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus were killed in the 1994 slaughter.

Serugendo is a former technical director of Radio Mille Collines (RTLM), which urged Hutus to murder Tutsis.

Judge Eric Mose at the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda said he had taken "note of mitigating circumstances of the accused, notably his health," in the sentence.

The nature of Serugendo's illness was not disclosed but the judge said it was "fatal", according to the AFP news agency.

He becomes the 28th person, including other RTLM staff, found guilty by the ICTR, which was set up to try the ringleaders of the genocide.

He was arrested last year in Gabon and transferred to the ICTR in Arusha, Tanzania.


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific