[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Tuesday, 16 May 2006, 11:11 GMT 12:11 UK
Kenya warns of more media raids
A woman holds the charred remains of a copy of The Standard
The raid on the Standard in March was an attack on press freedom, said diplomats
Kenyan Security Minister John Michuki has warned he may order new raids against the media just days after a deadly attack on a radio station.

Mr Michuki warned that the government would not hesitate to use force against any news group that demeans the state.

"No body will be allowed to harm the government and if they do that we will teach them a lesson," he said.

Last Friday, eight hooded gunmen raided Christian radio station Hope FM, killing a guard and injuring two more.

They also set fire to the office, causing the station to go off air for 10 hours.

The attack followed a broadcast in Swahili advocating the conversion of Muslims to Christianity.

The Pentecostal Church-owned radio management blamed the raid on Muslim extremists, but no arrests have been made.

The Standard newspaper, which was raided earlier this year by armed, masked police, published cartoons poking fun at Mr Michuki.

Anger

This appeared to anger the minister, who said he was "not one to be intimidated by what is written in newspapers."

"If I see that the security of this nation is threatened, and if I find any reason to repeat what I did there, I would do the same," he said.

Diplomats condemned the March raid on the Standard, with the US embassy saying such "acts of thuggery" had no place in an open democratic society

The UK condemned the raids as an "unprecedented attack on the freedom of the media" in Kenya.

Computers taken in the raid have still not been returned.


RELATED BBC LINKS:

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific