Thursday, October 14, 1999 Published at 07:00 GMT 08:00 UK
UN suspends Burundi operations
The UN has suspended all its operations in Burundi after the execution style killing of two of its workers and seven others on Tuesday.
A UN spokesperson said the suspension was intended as "a mark of respect" to the two officials and would last for three days.
The move is in response to the murder of nine people - including two senior United Nations officials - in an attack on an humanitarian convoy in the south-east of the country.
Ms Quintaglie said six members of the UN team had been put against a wall shortly after arriving at the camp and robbed by the rebels, who then walked away.
"One rebel turned around and said 'Why should we let these people live?'," she said.
"He took his gun, put it to the head of the UN worker and executed him. Then he took his gun again, put it to the head of the WFP worker, and executed her."
Seven people are reported to have been injured and three vehicles destroyed.
A government spokesman, Appollinaire Gahungu, said the incident happened as the convoy visited a civilian camp at Muzye, 140km south-east of the capital Bujumbura.
Mr Gahungu said soldiers travelling with the convoy were unable to respond because the attackers were hidden among the civilians.
"There was a risk of hitting many people, "he said.
The government is blaming rebels operating from neighbouring Tanzania.
The killings brought an angry response from the UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan.
Paying tribute at the same time to a UN worker killed in Kosovo this week, Mr Annan said the officials were dedicated to creating an environment "where innocent victims will no longer be the first victims of conflict".
"Let us insist that the killers be brought to justice," he said.
A BBC Correspondent in Burundi, Chris Simpson, says the UN has a high profile in the country and is running many aid projects throughout the region.
Upsurge in attacks
The six-year civil war in Burundi has pitted the mainly Tutsi-dominated army against Hutu rebel groups operating from bases in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Tanzania.
Several Hutu rebel organisations are trying to oust the government of President Pierre Buyoya - a continuation of a cycle of violence that erupted after the assassination of the country's first democratically-elected president, Melchior Ndadaye.
In recent weeks, there has been an upsurge in rebel attacks on Bujumbura, prompting the government to set up controversial "regrouping" camps, ostensibly to protect civilians from attack.
UN officials say that in the past few weeks, the army has forcibly moved 260,000 civilians into makeshift camps.
The displaced villagers face appalling conditions and people are dying every day, local reports say.
Many of the camps have little or no water, few, if any, toilets and little shelter.
Protection from crossfire
The army says moving people to camps will help it track down the rebels.
It says it is simply trying to protect the civilians from the violence or from getting caught in crossfire.
But correspondents say it is widely believed that the real motive is to prevent them from feeding or sheltering the rebels.