Stalled peace talks between the Sudan government and rebels from the western province of Darfur will resume in two weeks in the Nigerian capital, Abuja.
Refugees are still reluctant to leave the camps
The breakthrough was announced at a mini African Union summit on Darfur held in the Libyan capital, Tripoli attended by several heads of state.
Sudan Foreign Minister Mustafa Osman Ismail said a road map was now in place but he gave no details.
More than 2m people have fled their homes during the two-year conflict.
The representative of Sudan's Justice and Equality Movement to the African Union, Tajeddin Bashir Nyam, told the BBC that they welcomed moves to resume peace talks, but would not comment in detail before they studied the results of the summit.
The summit was attended by heads of state from Sudan, Chad, Egypt, Eritrea, Nigeria, the vice-president of Gabon and the Libyan leader, Muammar Gaddafi.
Mr Ismail said his government rejected any foreign military presence in Sudan besides the African peacekeeping forces, saying foreigners could help with the provision of communication equipment and transportation.
Rebel representatives were in Tripoli but not taking part in the summit itself.
Military confrontations in Darfur have died down and the two main rebel movements last week dropped their pre-conditions for returning to negotiations.
The African Union is in the process of increasing its monitoring force to over 7,000.
In Belgium, AU Commission President Alpha Oumar Konare is holding talks with Nato Secretary-General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer on Tuesday to discuss the AU's request for Nato's logistical help in Darfur.