[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Thursday, 1 December 2005, 17:00 GMT
Mozambican denies Cardoso murder
Anibalzinho
Anibalzinho was deported from Canada after escaping Mozambique
The man convicted of murdering Mozambican journalist Carlos Cardoso has denied his involvement in the November 2000 killing.

Anibal "Anibalzinho" dos Santos Junior was speaking on the first day of a retrial in Maputo.

He was allowed a retrial after appealing against his conviction since his trial was conducted in absentia after he fled Mozambique.

Cardoso was murdered while investigating a $14m bank fraud.

The trial has attracted intense interest in Mozambique.

In the Maputo City Court on Thursday, Dos Santos denied the charge that he had contracted two men to carry out the killing.

In the first trial in 2003, one of his co-accused said he had been recruited by Dos Santos to kill the journalist.

The defendant said he had never been to the office of the faxed newspaper that Cardoso edited.

He said that all his previous statements on the Cardoso case had been the result of manipulation by his former defence lawyer, Simeao Cuamba.

The case was adjourned until Friday.

Evidence in the first trial raised questions about the alleged role of Nyimpine Chissano son of the then Mozambican President Joaquim Chissano in ordering the killing.

Mozambicans are keen to hear whether Dos Santos will attempt to implicate Nyimpine Chissano in his own testimony.




SEE ALSO:
Mozambique's judges 'corrupt'
07 Mar 02 |  Africa


RELATED BBC LINKS:

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific