Front Page

UK

World

Business

Sci/Tech

Sport

Despatches

World Summary


On Air

Cantonese

Talking Point

Feedback

Text Only

Help

Site Map

Monday, December 22, 1997 Published at 18:58 GMT



World: Africa

Rwandan government statement

The Tutsi-led government in Rwanda has issued a statement calling on Hutu civilians to dissociate themselves from Hutu rebels suspected of a massacre in the northwest of the country earlier this month in which more than three hundred Tutsis were killed.

The statement was issued by the prime minister's office and broadcast on national radio.

It said the massacres in the communes of Ruhengeri and Gisenyi were a continuation of the 1994 genocide, during which hundreds-of-thousands of ethnic Tutsis and moderate Hutus were killed by Hutu extremists.

The statement placed the responsibility of the attack on Hutu rebel leaders living abroad, and called on the international community to arrest them.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service
 





Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage

©

  Relevant Stories

22 Dec 97 | World
Rwandan government says recent killings continuation of 1994 genocide

 
In this section

Dam builders charged in bribery scandal

Burundi camps 'too dire' to help

Sudan power struggle denied

Animal airlift planned for Congo

Spy allegations bug South Africa

Senate leader's dismissal 'a good omen'

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Zimbabwe constitution: Just a bit of paper?

South African gays take centre stage

Nigeria's ruling party's convention

UN to return to Burundi

Bissau military hold fire

Nile basin agreement on water cooperation

Congo Brazzaville defends peace initiative

African Media Watch

Liberia names new army chief





Africa Contents

Country profiles