[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Wednesday, 24 August 2005, 10:15 GMT 11:15 UK
Uganda to expel DR Congo rebels
Justin Lobho
One of the rebels, Justin Lobho, is wanted by DR Congo prosecutors
Uganda has announced it will expel six rebels from Democratic Republic of Congo after the UN voiced its concern over their presence in the county.

Uganda's internal affairs minister said the men had been declared persona non grata and must leave by Thursday.

The six are part of a group the UN says planned to use Uganda to launch a rebel movement to seize power in DR Congo.

UN Security Council resolutions oblige Uganda to prevent its territory from being used by regional armed groups.

'Strong evidence'

Uganda's Internal Affairs Minister Ruhakana Rugunda told a news conference in the capital, Kampala, that the men must leave the country by 1600 local time (1300 GMT) on Thursday or face arrest.

He said that during recent talks Congolese Vice President Azarius Rubrwa presented Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni with "strong evidence" that the men had declared war against DR Congo.

The minister said the six men were among 14 rebels who arrived in Uganda from eastern DR Congo earlier in the summer.

He added that the other eight rebels had left Uganda without giving any further details.

The UN mission in DR Congo (Monuc) has expressed its concern that the rebels may setting up an armed group.

The BBC has recently seen a document announcing the formation of the Congolese Revolutionary Movement (MRC), which says it is fighting for the rights of the people in DR Congo's eastern Ituri and North Kivu regions.

The group is made up of elements of various groups operating in the east.

The new group's founders are wanted by a prosecutor in eastern DR Congo.


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific