The trial has begun of 15 people in the capital, Maputo, charged with involvement in Mozambique's largest bank fraud.
Six men were convicted of Cardoso's murder
Three of the men have already been convicted of killing of Mozambique's best known journalist, Carlos Cardoso, who had been investigating the fraud.
Some $14m disappeared from the Commercial Bank of Mozambique, prior to its privatisation seven years ago.
The trial is at a top security prison because of safety concerns after several attempted escapes.
Unlike in the Cardoso murder trial case, Judge Achirafo Abubacar turned down a request by
to broadcast the trial live.
Mozambique's Attorney-General, Joaquim Madeira, has condemned as illegal the current restrictions on the three men convicted of ordering the assassination of investigative journalist Carlos Cardoso.
Since last Sunday, the former bank manager
Ramaya, and brothers Ayob Abdul Satar and Momade
Satar, have been kept handcuffed inside their cells,
and have not
been allowed visits.
Mr Madeira said he understood the prison
authorities' concern with preventing these
high-profile prisoners from escaping, but that did not
justify illegal measures.
The BBC's Jose Tembe in the capital, Maputo, says the prison is particularly jittery because last week a
convicted drug baron, Andre Timana, attempted to
That attempt was foiled - but only after
Timana had managed to make his way out of the prison premises.