Friday, April 2, 1999 Published at 15:04 GMT 16:04 UK
Uganda murder parks re-open
Security has been stepped up in the parks
Two Ugandan national parks, where eight tourists were murdered last month, have re-opened.
Four guides were also killed in the massacre by Rwandan Hutu rebels. Another six tourists survived the attack.
The Uganda Ministry of Tourism, Trade and Industry said the forest reserves were re-opening now that a month of mourning has passed.
The ministry said new security measures were in place in the parks.
A special committee with responsibility for tourist safety was working on further measures to prevent such an incident happening again.
Kidnapped and killed
On 1 March, the tourist trekking party was abducted by about 100 Rwandan Interahamwe rebels in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest.
Only six tourists survived the attack by Hutu militia men who have regularly conducted raids into Uganda since fleeing Rwanda following the 1994 genocide of 500,000 Tutsis.
The Interahamwe were thought to be angry at the UK and US for supporting their Tutsi enemies.
The increase in security has come in response to Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni's allegations of "laxity" in the approach towards the safety of tourists in the parks.
Four Britons Martin Friend, Joan Cotton, Mark Lindgren and Steven Roberts were among those who died.
The campaign group Justice for Britons Murdered Abroad has attacked what it sees as UK Government complacency in bringing the killers to justice.