Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Archive
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Tuesday, March 23, 1999 Published at 20:30 GMT


World: Africa

One-hundred said killed in DR Congo


Reports are emerging of attacks in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo in which hundreds of civilians have been killed.

The Rome-based missionary news agency said at least two-hundred civilians were killed when rebel forces attacked their villages in two separate areas of Kivu province, beginning last Friday.

Earlier, the Reuters new agency reported that one-hundred ethnic Tutsi civilians had been massacred at a village on the shores of Lake Tanganyika.

Local residents told a Reuters reporter the killings were carried out by mercenaries allegedly paid by the Rwandan government.

Rwanda, which had previously backed the ethnic Tutsis, has denied any involvement.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage |




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia


In this section

Dam builders charged in bribery scandal

Burundi camps 'too dire' to help

Sudan power struggle denied

Animal airlift planned for Congo

Spy allegations bug South Africa

Senate leader's dismissal 'a good omen'

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Zimbabwe constitution: Just a bit of paper?

South African gays take centre stage

Nigeria's ruling party's convention

UN to return to Burundi

Bissau military hold fire

Nile basin agreement on water cooperation

Congo Brazzaville defends peace initiative

African Media Watch

Liberia names new army chief