BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Somali Swahili French Great Lakes Hausa Portugeuse
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: Africa  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Monday, 9 December, 2002, 11:46 GMT
Kenya seeks two missile suspects
Kenya police images of the two suspects
The two suspects have not been named
Kenyan police have released computer-generated images of two men suspected of carrying out last month's failed missile attack in Mombasa on an Israeli airliner.

The police also announced a $6,000 dollar reward for information leading to the arrest of each man.

"We believe these two are the people who are suspected of trying to shoot down the Israeli plane and we appeal to anyone in the public to deliver any information," chief police investigator William Lang'at told journalists.

The two men have not been named, but police believe the men are in their 30s.

On Friday, Kenyan police found the two missiles that narrowly missed the Arkia airline charter flight taking Israeli tourists from Mombasa to Tel Aviv shortly after it took off last week.

But in a simultaneous attack, three suicide bombers killed 13 people, three of them Israelis, at the Israeli-owned Paradise Hotel near Mombasa.

A statement dated 6 December, purportedly from the al-Qaeda terror network, claimed responsibility for the twin attacks and threatened more attacks on Israeli and US targets.

Security

In Nairobi, the British High Commission in Kenya has reopened four days after what officials described as a specific terrorist threat to the building forced it to close.

Kenyan TV pictures of the missile launcher
Experts identified the launcher as a Sam 7 Strela-2
An official in Nairobi said the move came following a reassessment of the security situation.

It is understood that extra security measures remain in place but there is still no information about the nature of the terrorist threat and whether or not that threat has now gone.

Kenyan police are still questioning a number of people in connection with the attacks.

Tour operators in Kenya are reporting a large number of cancellations.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's Andrew Harding
"The Kenyan police are saying these two are prime suspects"

Key stories

Analysis

TALKING POINT

AUDIO VIDEO
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes