Saturday, November 21, 1998 Published at 11:33 GMT
Inconclusive end to Congo talks
Rebels want face-to-face talks with President Kabila
Talks to end the conflict in the Democratic Republic of Congo have broken up without final agreement, although rebels say they have accepted in principle a cease-fire.
However, there was no final agreement on the details of the document.
Correspondent Greg Barrow, who is in Gaborone, says the rebels submitted a number of changes at the last minute.
The talks, which started on Friday, resumed on Saturday but then broke up after less than an hour.
Greg Barrow quotes diplomats as saying they were frustrated by the slow pace of progress.
On Friday, the rebel delegation walked out of the talks, saying that little had been achieved in their first day of meetings.
"The only thing we've agreed upon is the need for peace in Congo," said rebel leader Bizima Karaha.
Mr Karaha, the former foreign minister in President Laurent Kabila's government, warned earlier that the president would be toppled in the same way as his predecessor, the late President Mobutu, if he continues to refuse to negotiate with the rebels.
The meeting was being seen as a chance for the rebels to respond to international cease-fire proposals.
President Kabila does not accept that he is fighting against a rebellion and insists that his country has been invaded by Rwanda and Uganda - countries which have provided military support for the rebellion.
Earlier in November, the South African government persuaded Rwanda to join Uganda in publicly admitting that it had troops on Congolese soil.
It was hoped that this would pave the way for peace talks between President Kabila and his Rwandan and Ugandan counterparts.
Instead, the Congolese government used the opportunity to accuse South Africa, which organised the talks, of favouring the cause of the rebels.
The outcome of the talks in Gaborone is to be considered by President Chiluba of Zambia, who is leading the latest peace initiative over Congo.