Tuesday, September 1, 1998 Published at 18:49 GMT 19:49 UK
Congolese say rebels surrounded in west
Rebels have been refused safe passage back to Goma in the east
The Democratic Republic of Congo says forces loyal to the government have surrounded thousands of Rwandan-led rebels whose attempt to seize the capital, Kinshasa, had failed.
A government minister, Mwanze Kongolo, said the rebels would not be allowed to withdraw from western Congo until they handed over their weapons.
Rebel leaders deny the government claims and say their forces are continuing their push into President Kabila's home province of Katanga.
They say they are also advancing on the town of Kindu, further north, which is an important military base.
Rwanda and Uganda accused
Mr Kongolo accused Rwanda and Uganda - Congo's eastern neighbours - of leading the month-long rebellion.
He said troops from both countries were in Congo, attacking civilians and destroying property.
Rwanda and Uganda have denied any direct involvement.
Non-Aligned Movement summit
Among the heads of state who have already arrived are President Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe and President Eduardo dos Santos of Angola, both of whom have deployed troops inside Congo in support of the government of President Laurent Kabila.
UN Secretary General Kofi Annan is reported to be planning a mini-summit in what could perhaps be a last hope for peace to the region.
The United Nations Security Council has called for an immediate ceasefire in the conflict, and for the withdrawal of all foreign forces.
It described the fighting as a serious threat to regional peace and security.
Curfew to remain
President Laurent Kabila's government said on Tuesday that a curfew imposed in Kinshasa following skirmishing against rebel infiltrators last week would remain for the time being.
The government also put on show about 40 prisoners, whom they described as a sample of captured Rwandans, Ugandans and Congolese who tried to take the capital in an assault that began last Wednesday.