Tuesday, September 1, 1998 Published at 04:51 GMT 05:51 UK
Congo fighting moves east
Angolan troops are helping President Kabila's forces
The government of the Democratic Republic of Congo says that after successfully driving back rebel forces from the capital, Kinshasa, it has now taken the war to the rebel stronghold in the east.
Reports on Monday said the town was firmly in rebel hands.
Meanwhile, the United Nations Security Council has called for an immediate ceasefire in the conflict, and for the withdrawal of all foreign forces.
It described the fighting as a serious threat to regional peace and security.
The Security Council also expressed alarm at the plight of the civilian population, saying civilians had been detained because of their ethnic origin, and subjected to hate propaganda, torture and sexual violence.
But the BBC UN Correspondent, Rob Watson, says that despite the Council's strong language, the UN's major powers have little appetite for intervention in the Congo and no immediate action is expected.
War 'far from over'
President Kabila's spokesman, Abdoulaye Yerodia, said Angolan and Zimbabwean forces were ready to help push out what he called the "Rwanda-Ugandan aggressors".
President Kabila has predicted that the rebellion will be defeated, as he put it, in a week or two.
But the rebels say the war is far from over, and the foreign minister of neighbouring Rwanda, Anastase Gasana, told the BBC President Kabila was declaring a premature victory.
Rwanda has maintained with equal consistency that its troops were not present - but the Rwandan Government has warned that it could send forces in to protect the minority Tutsis in the east.
Congolese are reportedly being incited to carry out lynchings and beatings of Tutsis.
A rebel spokesman said they would now conduct a guerrilla-style war around the capital, Kinshasa, splitting into smaller groups ready to strike at any time.