BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Monday, 22 October, 2001, 07:48 GMT 08:48 UK
Acrimony after DR Congo talks collapse
Rwandan army in DR Congo
Rwandan and Ugandan forces back rebels in DR Congo
Disappointed representatives at the collapsed talks on the future of the Democratic Republic of Congo, have expressed fear of further war.

The troubled talks in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa, were adjourned on Sunday two days after the Congolese Government delegation walked out saying that the absence of a number of important groups at the talks meant the meeting was pointless.

A representative of the Rwandan-backed rebel Congolese Rally for Democracy, Kin-Kiey Mulumba, accused the government of wanting to divide the country saying their pullout had been pre-meditated.

The government, backed by troops from Zimbabwe, Angola and Namibia, controls less than half of the central African nation in a three-year conflict dubbed "Africa's First World War".

The various armed resistance movements have accused President Joseph Kabila of having been determined from the start that the meeting would fail.

Valentin Mubake Nombi, spokesman for the opposition party, the Union for Democracy and Social Progress (UDPS), lamented: "We have never even for a minute talked on issues of national reconciliation that brought us to Addis Ababa."

Criticism

There is also criticism of the mediator, former Botswana president Ketumile Masire, for his poor handling of the talks.

UN soldiers in DR Congo
A UN mission is overseeing a shaky ceasefire

In a joint communique, opposition leaders said President Kabila's government "seems not to understand the necessity and the urgency to make peace".

Negotiations are under way for another meeting in South Africa.

The mediator is now said to be coming under mounting pressure to take a tougher line with the Congolese Government.

He says he needs time to consult with international donors and the South African Government.

A BBC African affairs analyst says that nothing at all seems to have been achieved and now the organisers have to convince donors that it is worth financing another session, which is expected to go on for more than six weeks and to involve four times as many people.

Latest reports from eastern Congo say fighting has been taking place in Kivu.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
RCD rebel spokesman Kin-Kiey Mulumba
"It's very bad for our country"
See also:

15 Oct 01 | African
Should DR Congo be split up?
30 Sep 01 | Africa
DR Congo ceasefire under threat
27 Sep 01 | Africa
DR Congo peace talks end early
17 Jul 01 | Africa
UN praises Congo advances
24 Jul 01 | Africa
Congo rejects UN co-ordinator
02 Sep 01 | Africa
Annan preaches peace in DR Congo
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories