Wednesday, August 12, 1998 Published at 02:24 GMT 03:24 UK
Congo rebels claim new advances
Refugees have been heading for the capital to escape fighting in the west
A rebel leader in the Democratic Republic of Congo has said his forces are advancing in the west and east of the country.
Commander Ondenkane said President Laurent Kabila was "worse than Mobutu" - the former president - and said his troops would arrive in Kinshasa soon.
Meanwhile a Zambian Government minister, Eric Siluwamba, is reported to have arrived in Kinshasa, in an effort to resolve the current fighting.
Mr Siluwamba is opening an investigation into allegations by the Kinshasa Government that Rwanda, helped by Uganda, is behind an apparently growing revolt by ethnic Tutsi soldiers. Both have denied the accusations.
On Tuesday, the government in Kinshasa said they had recaptured the eastern town of Bukavu and its airport.
The claim was denied by rebel forces, who said they remained in control in the area.
Earlier, the government spoke of clashes with what it described as fleeing Rwandan soldiers near the capital, Kinshasa.
The clash - at the town of Kasangulu, 45km south of Kinshasa - was said to have left 18 Rwandans dead. There was no independent confirmation of the incident.
Many of the clashes may also involve minority Congolese ethnic Tutsis, known as Banyamulenge, who are the Rwandan Government's natural allies in the region.
Congolese Government officials say there is a Tutsi conspiracy to colonise Congo and that they will have to mount a people's war to stop it.
But the Tutsis say they are being persecuted and need to fight for their survival.
The rebellion in Congo began shortly after the Rwandans - who helped President Kabila to power last year - were told to go home.