Friday, June 5, 1998 Published at 14:20 GMT 15:20 UK
Sudanese still die amid relief effort
Unicef says the number of starving people is almost three times as many as once thought
The medical charity, Medecins Sans Frontieres, says not enough food is being delivered and as a result people are dying and children in feeding centres are not gaining weight.
The food crisis, which was first predicted late last year, has been a result of both drought and civil war.
Although huge resources have been brought in, many emergency food supplies have arrived too late for many people.
She said: "The position is that we do have food supplies until September but that is if the situation doesn't get worse. And from thinking 350,000 people were at risk in April we now know it's nearly a million people."
"We are getting the flights in, we are able to deliver food but the other problem we're finding is that food alone isn't enough to cure sick children. We also need to get in the vaccines because children are dying of diarrhoea and even measles."
Meanwhile, the Sudanese government has been condemned for hiring 2,000 convicted criminals for $1,000 a head from China to fight alongside its forces, according to the opposition group, the National Democratic Alliance.
The secretary-general of the National Democratic Alliance, Mubarak al-Mahdi, was quoted as saying the government's move was "a criminal act" and called on the Chinese government to stop intervening in Sudan's internal affairs.
Last week, rebels of the Sudan People's Liberation Army (SPLA) said they had killed or wounded 300 government solders.
Sudan has been hit by outbreaks of civil war for over 40 years, but the current phase of the conflict began in 1983.
The black, mainly Christian or animist south is fighting for autonomy from the Muslim north.