| You are in: World: Middle East | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Monday, 28 August, 2000, 12:16 GMT 13:16 UK
No extradition for Hamas suspect
Palestinian officials have said that a Hamas activist they are holding will not be handed over to the Israelis. The Palestinian Authority's attorney general, Khaled al-Qidra, told the BBC there had been no request for the extradition of Mahmoud Abu Hanoud, who's accused by Israel of involvement in suicide bombings three years ago. Mr Qidra said that when investigations were completed, a decision would be taken about whether to try him for breaching Palestinian security regulations. Mr Hanoud escaped when Israeli troops mounted an operation against Hamas in the West Bank on Saturday but was later detained by the Palestinian authorities. The Israeli army is investigating the handling of the operation after reports that three soldiers who were killed may have been hit by gunfire from their own side. From the newsroom of the BBC World Service |
Top Middle East stories now:
Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Middle East stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|