| You are in: World | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Monday, 28 August, 2000, 11:32 GMT 12:32 UK
Trial examines 'secret' CIA papers
![]() The case is being heard amid intense security
The Lockerbie trial has been shown the CIA documents at the centre of a dispute between prosecution and defence lawyers.
Scotland's senior law official, Lord Advocate, Colin Boyd QC, said the papers - which contain details of cable communications - featured new information. He said the documents included remarks made by Libyan defector Abdul Majid Giaka, who worked as a CIA agent at Malta Airport and whom the prosecution wants to call as a witness at the trial. Mr Boyd said: "This is the first time the CIA has produced evidence for a foreign court. "It may also be the first time that cables themselves have been used in any court either in the US or outwith.
Mr Boyd said he watched last week at the US Embassy in The Hague as a CIA records custodian identified as William McNair undid deletions in the cables from Giaka, whom crown prosecutors refer to as "Mr Majid". He said: "I can tell the court that everything Mr Majid is reported to have said in these cables is revealed except for three matters." These refer to the identities of CIA informants and methods of operation. 'Sham surgery' Newly revealed information included references to CIA payments to Giaka and his request for "sham surgery" to secure a waiver from military service in Libya. There is also mention of payments from the CIA he could receive in return for giving evidence. Giaka has been living for the last 10 years under a witness protection scheme in the US and is regarded as a crucial witness against the accused men. He is expected to take the stand later this week.
Defence attorney Bill Taylor QC told the court there were now "a number of routes available to the accused" which would have "repercussions for the court itself". He did not elaborate. The court adjourned for the day to allow the defence to consult the accused. Arguments over the CIA papers have dominated the last few days of the trial of the two Libyans who are said to have bombed Pan AM flight 103 over the small Scottish town of Lockerbie. The special court in the Netherlands was adjourned on Monday to give the defence time to consider the new information. It has been claimed the accused concealed the device in a suitcase in Malta and routing it onto flight 103 via Frankfurt, London and then onto New York. The men have denied carrying out the 1988 bombing in which 270 people died. The trial continues.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top World stories now:
Links to more World stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more World stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|