| You are in: World: Middle East | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Sunday, 27 August, 2000, 20:59 GMT 21:59 UK
Israeli troops die in bungled raid
![]() Funerals took place of the fallen soldiers before sunset
The three Israeli soldiers who were killed in a gun battle in the West Bank may have been shot by their own comrades.
The Israeli army chief, Shaul Mofaz, made the admission on Sunday, adding that a fourth soldier had been wounded in the shooting. The Israelis were looking for Hamas militant Mahmoud Abu Hanoud, who is accused of involvement in at least two suicide bombings in Jerusalem in 1997.
The fugitive, who was wounded in the shootout, fled to Nablus, where he was detained by Palestinian police. Our correspondent Hilary Andersson says the battle is turning into an embarrassing disaster for Israel's army. Mr Mofaz said a very grave mistake was committed by Israeli soldiers and would not rule out the possibility that men were killed or injured by their own comrades. An investigation is under way and the army says the answers will become clear later this week.
Negotiations to end the 52-year conflict are currently at a key juncture. Talks at Camp David broke down last month over the issue of Jerusalem but substantial progress was made in other areas. Shootout The raid on Assira al-Shamaliyeh, a Hamas stronghold, began at about 2200 (1900 GMT) on Saturday. Hundreds of soldiers sealed the village, imposed a curfew and carried out house-to-house searches. At one point Mr Hanoud and another man fired at the troops, according to army commander General Yitzhak Eitan.
Mr Hanoud was treated for gunshot wounds at the Evangelical Hospital in Nablus and was placed under heavy guard. Dozens of officers were patrolling the hospital grounds, while others were watching the area from nearby rooftops. Israeli Police Minister Shlomo Ben-Ami would not say whether Israel would ask for Mr Hanoud's extradition. Mr Ben-Ami praised the co-operation with the Palestinians.
Mr Hanoud is accused by Israel of masterminding several previous attacks on Israeli civilians, including suicide bombings on an outdoor market and a street in Jerusalem in 1997. The attacks left 21 Israelis and five bombers dead. Israel's army has been on a state of high alert in recent days over fears of fresh attacks on its civilians. Although there is no necessary connection with the latest incident, the Israeli authorities made it known during the week that they had uncovered a ring of militants operating in the Palestinian-controlled areas associated with the internationally-sought terror suspect Osama bin Laden. Hamas denied any association with the group but reaffirmed its opposition to the peace process.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Middle East stories now:
Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Middle East stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|